• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Variable Speed Lathe Motors

Greetings from Downunder.
I own a Nova 16-24 44 Lathe with most of the Nova options. I like this lathe as it does everything that I want (except one).
Some time back I checked with Nova and Teknatool regarding a variable speed motor that was available online. I suspect that
some members here may have installed that motor configuration on their Nova lathe. Both Nova and Teknatool answered me by saying
that they no longer held this variable speed motor in stock. Despite all of my recent searching online, all I get are replies from people
who have disassembled a walking machine and used the motor and speed changer for this requirements. I suspect that these motors do
not have the power that I need. If no option is presented to me I will continue to manually change the speed as I have always done.
However, if this is another option out there, I will look into it. Any advice will be appreciated.

@Matt Fawkner , I have a Nova 1624-II lathe with the DVR upgrade, which is the system I think you are talking about and looking for. I can tell you that it has worked great for me.

The upgrade includes a "special" DVR motor (120 volt) and an electronic controller, which replace the original (120V) motor. The DVR motor is rated at 1.75 HP compared to 1.5 HP for the original. So you get a little more power, but a great deal more control and convenience. Definitely worth it, in my opinion.

I don't core, and I don't do really large, way out of balance loads, but it's been more than enough power for me.

I suggest you follow Bill Blasic's lead and reach out to Boldac at Teknatools again.

I also upgraded to the DVR motor a few years ago. I am mostly satisfied with it - the ability to change to preset speeds with the push of a button is convenient. But either I am using my controller incorrectly or it isn't working properly, but I find that the variable speed control knob allows for only a small range of speed variation around the preset speed. The instructions weren't particularly clear on that. What I was hoping for was a knob that would let me go from 0 to infinity (and beyond) and it doesn't do that.

BTW, the DVR does not replace the belt and pulley box on the original lathe. It still drives the spindle through that, but you leave the belt set permanently on one set of pulleys.

Greetings from Downunder.
I own a Nova 16-24 44 Lathe with most of the Nova options. I like this lathe as it does everything that I want (except one).
If no option is presented to me I will continue to manually change the speed as I have always done.
However, if this is another option out there, I will look into it. Any advice will be appreciated.
It's not horribly complicated to take a single speed lathe and add a VFD to provide variable speed. I don't have the know-how personally, but one of our club members did that to about a dozen lathes, (sadly, he's no longer with us), and others have too.

It's not horribly complicated to take a single speed lathe and add a VFD to provide variable speed. I don't have the know-how personally, but one of our club members did that to about a dozen lathes, (sadly, he's no longer with us), and others have too.
It does include replacing the single phase motor to a 3 phase motor if you want to stay in some kind of budget. Back in the day you put a controller on a DC motor. That was before cheap VFDs. But if you have to change the motor and put on a controller, it may be more economical to sell the lathe and buy a new one with the variable speed you want.

I also upgraded to the DVR motor a few years ago. I am mostly satisfied with it - the ability to change to preset speeds with the push of a button is convenient. But either I am using my controller incorrectly or it isn't working properly, but I find that the variable speed control knob allows for only a small range of speed variation around the preset speed. The instructions weren't particularly clear on that. What I was hoping for was a knob that would let me go from 0 to infinity (and beyond) and it doesn't do that.

BTW, the DVR does not replace the belt and pulley box on the original lathe. It still drives the spindle through that, but you leave the belt set permanently on one set of pulleys.
If it's anything like the dial on my nova saturn dvr then if you turn it the speed increment is small, if you push in and turn it, the speed changes at a higher rate.

But either I am using my controller incorrectly or it isn't working properly, but I find that the variable speed control knob allows for only a small range of speed variation around the preset speed. The instructions weren't particularly clear on that. What I was hoping for was a knob that would let me go from 0 to infinity (and beyond) and it doesn't do that.
Like Russell said, push & turn the speed control knob to change the RPM by larger increments.

I also have the belt drive Nova with some options. Back 4 years ago when the variable speed drive replacement motors were available I look at them and decided not to do it. All the reasons I bought the belt drive to start with were still valid. Now I am sorta interested again.. I spent a lot of time watching the sales of used lathes in my area. I have had several chances to purchase a real variable speed Nova and could sell my old one and come out ahead of the $1000 the motor upgrade cost. But decided against it. One reason I sorta wanted to make the change is that the head on the direct drive variable speed machine has 3 bearings and is "better" than the belt drive upgraded. But my thinking now is "so what". Keep flipping the belt and make a change if something goes wrong. To change lathes would be more trouble for me than it is worth to end up with about the same machine again. Maybe if I turned more from logs and green wood.

I also have the belt drive Nova with some options. Back 4 years ago when the variable speed drive replacement motors were available I look at them and decided not to do it. All the reasons I bought the belt drive to start with were still valid. Now I am sorta interested again.. I spent a lot of time watching the sales of used lathes in my area. I have had several chances to purchase a real variable speed Nova and could sell my old one and come out ahead of the $1000 the motor upgrade cost. But decided against it. One reason I sorta wanted to make the change is that the head on the direct drive variable speed machine has 3 bearings and is "better" than the belt drive upgraded. But my thinking now is "so what". Keep flipping the belt and make a change if something goes wrong. To change lathes would be more trouble for me than it is worth to end up with about the same machine again. Maybe if I turned more from logs and green wood.
Thanks Bill. I love my Nova 1624-44. It has all of the "add ons" that I need. I would like to get a Variable Speed Motor, but if the options that have been discussed already become difficult, I will stick with changing speeds manually.

Back