• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vari grind size

I need this jig atachment it for grinding a 3/8 spindle gouge and 1/2 bowl gouge.

I’m about to buy the vari-grind # 1 and there are 2 sizes, one small that is for 1/8 to 5/8 and a larger one that goes from 1/2 to 1 1/8.

So it looks obviously that I need the small one, but when looking for info about the jig some people complain that the small one that not hold very well the 3/8 shafts so it needs to upgrade the adjustment knob.

Then I also received the recommendation from Lee Valley to buy the large and use a spacer for clamping smaller gouges.

I don’t know if you have any experience or recommendation. Thank you in advance

I didn't even know they came in 2 sizes. It seems I have the smaller ones. I use it for 5/8 and 1/2 bowl gouges and 3/8 spindle gouge - no problems.
Thank you so much, i just realized that there are 2 size and the one that Lee Valley is selling is the larger
item 3074 from OneWay. It is specified for tools from ½” to 1 1/8”.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
I also didn't know there were two sizes. Being that mine easily fits 3/8 - 5/8, and won't do 1-1/8" I suspect that is a new development.
I know I have a spacer for smaller ones. do you know if they are marked?

I also didn't know there were two sizes. Being that mine easily fits 3/8 - 5/8, and won't do 1-1/8" I suspect that is a new development.
I know I have a spacer for smaller ones. do you know if they are marked?
No, I don’t know if they are marked, i just realized because before I buy I wanted to be sure of the basic kit and looked at the oneway web that were 3 Vari grind: 2 traditionals and 1 vari grind 2.

Attachments

• FAEC9328-DDDE-45C0-8E29-885250236660.png
    FAEC9328-DDDE-45C0-8E29-885250236660.png
    864.4 KB · Views: 34

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Thanks Mike for the pic. May have to go measure my Vari Grinds.
In Answer to the original post question, I believe the small one is what is commonly used with the large one being a newer offering.
As to gouge sizes, I regularly hear of people using 3/4" gouges, but who has bigger ones? Are 1" - 1-1/4" gouges common or custom?
Note, I do not use this jig for either spindle roughing gouges or bottom finishers. The SPRG has a straight profile that is accomplished without the VariGrind.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
While you are looking at sharpening systems, Ron Brown sells a Pro-Grind system that is very similar to the Wolverine and has a few extra parts.

Also Hannes Tools has a very interesting fixture for the Wolverine. I use both the Brown and Hannes pieces.

Lastly Woodturners Wonders is a great guy to do business with. He also has a popular system but I haven't personally used it.

I already graze the wheel way too often with the standard size so I wouldn't get the bigger one unless you use a monster bowl gouge. I think it would just be in the way for most uses.
Thank you, im planing to do small products im going to buy a 3/8 spindle and 1/2 bowl gouge I aldo think that the small one is the right one .
my doubt was because I read a complain that the small one didn’t secure well 3/8 shaft.(maybe just particular experience)

While you are looking at sharpening systems, Ron Brown sells a Pro-Grind system that is very similar to the Wolverine and has a few extra parts.

Also Hannes Tools has a very interesting fixture for the Wolverine. I use both the Brown and Hannes pieces.

Lastly Woodturners Wonders is a great guy to do business with. He also has a popular system but I haven't personally used it.
Hello, thank you so much I also think the smaller is enough for me just wonder if I need to buy it with a replacement retrofit adjusting knob.
Thanks for the links im going to check them right now, I only viewed the Kodiac, but it says that is exclusively for CBN wheel and couldn’t find it in stock but look that its a expensive one.

The old style Vari-Grind indexed the flute with a knob clamp and leaf spring, the new knob clamp with bearing is much more user friendly and comes already installed so you shouldn't need to buy the #3916 retro fit kit. Just as an FYI, I measured the openings of my old #2480 Vari-Grind jig at about 13/16. I don't have a 3/4" gouge to try, but I'm sure it would clamp with no problem.

The old style Vari-Grind indexed the flute with a knob clamp and leaf spring, the new knob clamp with bearing is much more user friendly and comes already installed so you shouldn't need to buy the #3916 retro fit kit. Just as an FYI, I measured the openings of my old #2480 Vari-Grind jig at about 13/16. I don't have a 3/4" gouge to try, but I'm sure it would clamp with no problem.
Thank you so much the one that is in Amazon is the #2480 I think I’ll buy it, I just need for small gouges 3/8 and 1/2. I don’t know if it comes with spring or bearing.
This is the one I’ve seen:

I would get the smaller of the two sizes of the original Varigrind. I don't like the Varigrind 2 because it appears to have a limited range of motion.
Thank you so much , yes, I’ll buy it , i already placed the order for the wolverine basic system.
Now I’m going to buy the small Vari-grind.
greetings

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Just measured and tried. My 3/4 Thompson Bowl gouge fits easily into my old Vari-grind and the Johannes Vector Jig. Didn't try them but looked like an easy fit into the ProGrind & Ellison jigs.
Interested when you get the new one if the hole is smaller making the second size necessary.
Side note, the two pics show one old spring style and one bearing style.

Attachments

• 20220806_110915[1].jpg
    20220806_110915[1].jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220806_111149[1].jpg
    20220806_111149[1].jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 3
My 3/8" gouge fits just fine. Not to worry:)
Just measured and tried. My 3/4 Thompson Bowl gouge fits easily into my old Vari-grind and the Johannes Vector Jig. Didn't try them but looked like an easy fit into the ProGrind & Ellison jigs.
Interested when you get the new one if the hole is smaller making the second size necessary.
Side note, the two pics show one old spring style and one bearing style.
Hello, thank you so much I already bought the Wolverine basic system now Im about to place the order for the small varigrind.

I need this jig atachment it for grinding a 3/8 spindle gouge and 1/2 bowl gouge.

I’m about to buy the vari-grind # 1 and there are 2 sizes, one small that is for 1/8 to 5/8 and a larger one that goes from 1/2 to 1 1/8.

So it looks obviously that I need the small one, but when looking for info about the jig some people complain that the small one that not hold very well the 3/8 shafts so it needs to upgrade the adjustment knob.

Then I also received the recommendation from Lee Valley to buy the large and use a spacer for clamping smaller gouges.

I don’t know if you have any experience or recommendation. Thank you in advance
I also didn’t know about the 2 sizes. I have the small one. When I sharpen my 5/8” bowl gouge it looks like there is enough room to get at least a 3/4” gouge in it.

Back