• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vari-grind setup and CBN wheels

I got a good deal on a used slow speed grinder with the basic Oneway wolverine setup and two aluminum oxide wheels. The grind angle for my current jig is set by adjusting the distance between the tip of the gouge and the jig. I made depth gauges for different grind angles and it is fast and repeatable. Seems that the varigrind uses a fixed distance between the jig and the tip of the tool and the grind angle is set by adjusting extension of the v-arm. What are the options for quickly and repeatably setting the v-arm to different extension distances corresponding to the grind angles I use (assume it will be used with a CBN wheel that will not be reduced in diameter with use)?

My other questions are about CBN wheels. Having used 1" sanding belts for years I understand the advantage of a wide wheel. Some wheels also have abrasive on the edges. What sort of sharpening is done with the edges of the wheel? What are the advantages/disadvantage of rounded transition (radius edge) versus square?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Watch my video on tips. The little jigs I use are simple to make and match any angle..https://youtu.be/Z_YRyaf46hs?si=hR51N0HrdV93TQe5

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
I use PVC pipe to repeatably set the "V" arm extension. See attached photos. Adjust "V" arm without PVC pipe until you have desired grind. Cut PVC pipe to length required to repeat "V" arm extension. Next time you want to duplicate grind slide PVC pipe on to "V" arm, slide "V" into base until PVC pipe touches base and lock down "V" arm as shown in photos. - John

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 23
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Me, I just use a scrap of wood longer than my longest V arm extension then just cut 1/8" deep "steps" into long edge progressively deeper at each of the various distances so I only need one "gage" tool to measure all of my extension distances. I suppose I outta get some pics of that.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
The V-arm can be set via PVC as @John King shows, or with a similar stick or whatever else to set the offset.

You can also use a stop collar or hose clamp to set the position (although this just sets one position per v-arm).

I feel like a set of gauges like @john lucas shows in his video are better. (commercial version is called Raptor, but making your own is easy and you aren't stuck with someone else's idea of the best angle). As John says, these sort of gauges are better because they measure from the arm to the wheel, so they compensate for variations in wheel diameter and grinder setup - and also let you take your settings to someone else's grinder.

Once I found the positions I like for my v-arm I got tired of moving it when I changed gouges. So I got some 3/4" square bar and put a bloc on it with multiple holes- one for each distance setting. See https://dlwoodturning.com/multi-position-wolverine-arm/

For the varigrind arm, you can make some setting gagues or simply drill a 1/8" hole thru the 2 pieces - use a drill bit to align the holes and get back to that setting.

The CBN wheels with grit on the side is useful for things you don't want a hollow grind on (like flattening the top of a scraper). Also useful for something like the side of a box scraper, where sharpening that on the face of the wheel, holding the tool sideways, is very awkward.
The radius edges are mainly helpful for the small HSS tips on hollowing tools - you can move the cutter around the radius corner rather than swinging the handle of the tool thru like 180º (Trent Bosch has a video illustrating what I mean - he's using the corner of a stone wheel, but same thing). If you don't need that, then the radius actually gets in the way of using the side of the wheel for things like box scrapers.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I use PVC pipe to repeatably set the "V" arm extension. See attached photos. Adjust "V" arm without PVC pipe until you have desired grind. Cut PVC pipe to length required to repeat "V" arm extension. Next time you want to duplicate grind slide PVC pipe on to "V" arm, slide "V" into base until PVC pipe touches base and lock down "V" arm as shown in photos. - John
I use basically the same method as Brian. However, I simplify changing nose angle a bit by slotting each of the PVC pieces length-wise so they can be popped on and off the V-arm without removing the V-arm from the base. The slots can be cut with the CAREFULL use of a bandsaw.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
A related tip: If the two wheels are the same diameter mount the two bases so that a given V-arm protrusion produces the same bevel angle on both wheels. This facilitates switching from wheel to wheel and requires only one set of pipes.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I also use 1"(?) PVC pipe. But, I just put one end in the pocket and slide it in until the the other edge butts up against the base where the arm slides into the base and lock it down. Does that make sense? No need to remove the arm or make dangerous cuts on the PVC pipe. I used to have 3 or 4 lengths but now I pretty much only use one for gouges. Being lazy ... I bought a second Varigrind jig - I set one for bowl gouges and one for spindle gouges and rarely ever have to change the arm position length.

Re: the AO wheels - I doubt you will ever notice the minute change of angle of your tool bevel to the shrinking diameter of your wheel.

Website
www.ovwg.org
I got a good deal on a used slow speed grinder with the basic Oneway wolverine setup and two aluminum oxide wheels. The grind angle for my current jig is set by adjusting the distance between the tip of the gouge and the jig. I made depth gauges for different grind angles and it is fast and repeatable. Seems that the varigrind uses a fixed distance between the jig and the tip of the tool and the grind angle is set by adjusting extension of the v-arm. What are the options for quickly and repeatably setting the v-arm to different extension distances corresponding to the grind angles I use (assume it will be used with a CBN wheel that will not be reduced in diameter with use)?

My other questions are about CBN wheels. Having used 1" sanding belts for years I understand the advantage of a wide wheel. Some wheels also have abrasive on the edges. What sort of sharpening is done with the edges of the wheel? What are the advantages/disadvantage of rounded transition (radius edge) versus square?
Use the Craft Supplies raptor set up tools. I use them every time and they are very repeatable.

I have seen all sorts of methods from lines scratched on the arm that goes into the base to small pieces of angle iron or shim sticks cut to length. I would have all of them with a hole drilled into them, and place them on an idiot string so they can't get lost in the shavings.... The nice thing about the CBN wheels is that they never change shape. I don't have any with the side grind option. I do have some with the rounded edges, but don't like them and when they wear out, I will replace them with straight edged ones. Only use I would have for the side grind option in my shop would be for my bench chisels and plane irons.

robo hippy

Hello! I don’t have much experience, but I do have the 1/2 HP low-speed Rikon grinder with a white wheel stone. I use it for my skew, beading, and roughing gouges, along with a homemade jig one side 40° and the other 50°. However, I think the Raptor jig could be a nice option.
I have to make one for my bolw gouge the pvc pipe as a spacer looks great idea.

I’ve been using it this year, and it’s still working well. I’m also mindful that the wheel’s diameter will eventually shorten. Sharpening is very easy—just two touches are usually enough to refresh the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_7176.jpeg
    IMG_7176.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7175.jpeg
    IMG_7175.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 10
You got some great answers and it's been a while since this thread was active, but I'll just add that I posted another alternative: Simple jigs for setting angles with the oneway wolverine grinding jig. The method works for composite wheels that shrink and is not restricted to a particular Vari-Grind jig setting or gouge protrusion. So you can use it for Ron Brown's approximation to a 40/40 grind as well as a grind with swept back wings.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Hi John,
Are you using full pipe that requires removing the V-Arm or are they cut in half to fit over the arm without removing?

Apologies if I post too many links to Carl Ford's blog, but I have found so many of his tips helpful and use them daily. This grinder setup keeps me working quickly every day:

Apologies if I post too many links to Carl Ford's blog, but I have found so many of his tips helpful and use them daily. This grinder setup keeps me working quickly every day:
That’s great, thanks for all valuable information

Back