• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum chucking hazard

Don't use quick connect fittings in a line from the vacuum pump to the lathe. A small wood chip can easily clog the fitting shutting off vacuum to the lathe. This can cause a 50 pound wall art piece to be launched into low earth orbit.
IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

The reason for the quick connect is I use the vacuum pump for vacuum chucking, bag veneering and clamping.
The quick connect made it easy to switch between applications.

Last edited:
How do you get a chip from the inside of the bowl into the system? You don't blow off the bowl to get rid of sawdust and clean it before pulling the vacuum? I think you have been missing a critical step to successful vacuum clamping all along. No issue in my shop for the last 25 years.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
That is one rare experience.
Not sure how avoiding quick connect prevents the clog problem. Those chips have to stop somewhere in the system.
I’ve been using quick connects since 1999 with no problem.
Thats a close match to @Richard Coers 25 years..
I have a dust filter in my line I”m thinking chips like those would get caught there and stopped the system if they made it through the quick connect.

vacuum chucking is a closed system so those chips must have been in the system when you started up the vacuum.
Maybe you had chips in the spindle. Maybe in the coupling. Maybe in the chuck but you probably would have seen them in the chuck.

Last edited:
Are those standard air line quick disconnects? When I was building my system I bought some from Veneer Supplies that are made for vacuum lines. So far they have worked well. Joe is good to work with and it may be worth checking them out.

Are those standard air line quick disconnects?
Yes, and I think that is part of the problem as the air is going in the wrong direction.

One small chip probably in the spindle. Without the quick connect it would have easily made it through the air hose and stopped at my filter at the vacuum pump. Would never had even been noticed.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had a different problem. I was turning in a basement shop with 2 small windows. It was night time and the power went off to our entire block. The piece flew off and bounced all around my pitch black shop. I didn't even know where to duck.

Situations like described here are why OSHA requires guarding to prevent injuries from spinning parts coming loose.

At the the Seattle area JPW scratch and dent discount center I saw one of the PM 42xx lathes that actually came with the guard. That lathe was discounted to $5295. I've seen the smaller PM's with the guard bracket, no guard included though.

Back