• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

vacuum chuck

I'm thinking of getting a vacuum chuck. Have heard of systems that use a compressor vs. a vacuum pump. What can you tell me?

Herb

I have a vacuum pump and find that it gives you consistent, and more than enough vacuum pressure. You really don't have to crank it up fall the way on every project. In fact, if you do, the pressure can crush your piece. For most project, I find that 15 inches hg pressure (max is 24) is more than enough.

I have heard that one of the problems with the compressor-based model has to do with potential loss of pressure, especially during its recycling. I don't know, don't use it. Now, you don't have to pay $300+ for a good Gast Vacuum Pump. You can get one from Surplus Supply for about $90-$100, but you must have (or create) a 220V line for it. It is a 1/4 hp motor but is way more than enough. Hope this helps.

Matt

I have the one that Packard wood sells, bought it at the AAW last summer. I love it and are always looking for a way to bring vac chucking into my work. I make my own sleeves and parts. Was a cheap way to get into it. I get up to 30" if the seal is right and that's enough to let you return the bottom of a bowl, platter etc. I do some ball stuff and have a 2" for balls which is really great for cleaning up the foot, etc.

The amount of air required for the compressor type is usually quite large. I was able to get a nice used pump "gast" pump for about $50.00 at a local pawn shop. It works fine.

Vaccum pump

Get a Gast vaccum pump, I got a good used one on a nice metal base with attached filters for forty bucks. It was used in some computer application and runs on 220. I bought it from IT Source in Wichita, Ks. (316)264-0283.
If you have more money than time, I suggest the Oneway setup, otherwise there are lots of options. Good luck.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I built my first vacuum pump using a car compressor. I used the plans in an issue of American Woodturner. My latest one was a Gast Pump I got at the hwy127 yard sale (the worlds longest yard sale). I paid $35 for it. It looks similar to the Oneway pump but mine gets quite hot. It has never shut down and seems to work fine.

Website
www.abhats.com
Gast will last

I went the Surplus Center route, built my own filter and plumbing setup, and got a vacuum gage from some Internet source or other. I've a Stubby that has a built-in vac. port, and periodically have to add some heavy grease to the headstock bearing to seal it, but the whole system has worked flawlessly for four years. Pulls up to 20" vacuum every time.

Walt

Back