• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week of April 1, 2024

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Jaramiah Severns' "Claro Walnut Hollow Form" is my choice for Turning of the Week for April 1, 2024.

He has created a wonderfully balanced form, that has no flats anywhere on the surface. Of note, he has taken the extra care to 'finish the finish', by applying several coats of shellac. These steps helped seal the open grain of walnut, allowing him to buff the piece using white diamond. Usually white diamond buffing is a 'No-No', because the white compound embeds in the walnut's open pores, that results in an undesirable look. But Jaramiah's shellac finish kept that from happening, leaving the hollow form's surface with a smooth gloss finish.

Well done, Jaramiah and welcome to the Forum!

full

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Great way to make an entrance on the forum, Jaramiah. Congratulations! A very nice piece.
Roswell, GA ..... I visited there once :) - my sister lived there for many years.

Great way to make an entrance on the forum, Jaramiah. Congratulations! A very nice piece.
Roswell, GA ..... I visited there once :) - my sister lived there for many years.
Thanks, Tom! The wife and I moved here from San Francisco two years ago and absolutely love it…and we can afford a house here, which is a bonus 😂

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Thanks, Michael! Not sure why I waited so long to join the forum, but sure am glad to be here now 💯

I’m only about 90 minutes south of Chattanooga. We should meet up for a beer sometime!
Sounds good to me! I make it down to your neck of the woods occasionally. I’ll holler at you when I do

Back