• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
My choice for this week's featured turning is Al Miotke's Laminations Galore. I've long been a fan of Al's work, and this is no exception. This piece is technically challenging, has a great form, flawless finish, and the timber species are thoughtfully chosen to maintain nice colors/contrast for a long time. I also appreciate that this piece was inspired by a challenge on the Segmenter's forum. Even though it photographs well, I suspect it is even more beautiful in person. Nice work, Al. Thanks for sharing!

full

Last edited:
Excellent choice Michael and congratulations Al! If you ever need added frustration in your life, try multi-generational laminations!! Getting them to aline expertly is a great test for your up close vision, then add in glue squeeze out…..ugh!!

Back