• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ethan Hoff for "Globe Ornament" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 21, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for October 21, 2024

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I'm filling in for Emiliano this week, as he's out of town with limited computer access. That said, I wanted to select a featured turning that fulfills his usual 3-F requirements, form, finish, and foto, and landed on the beautiful "Globe Ornament" by Ethan Hoff.

Ethan, this piece is quite nice. It is the quintessential turning that the upcoming Christmas season brings, and I am all the happier for it. You have a done a great job with a classic 3-piece ornament, and your excellent lacquer finish really accentuates the natural characteristics of the Honduras Rosewood and Ebony. Wherever this piece ends up (on a stand, tree, etc...) it will certainly bring a touch of class. The only tiny, tiny, nit I have is that I would like the bottom-most stem of the icecicle (drop-final) to be a hair thinner in the upper 2/3rds to better continue the line coming off of your onion. That said, it's likely only noticeable in an enlarged photo because the stem must be less than 1/8" in diameter at its widest point. I'm certain that no one will notice when the ornament is on display. My nit does not take away from the quality of this piece, and should not take away from the feature.

I really enjoy seeing your well-made pieces show up in the gallery, Ethan. Keep 'em coming!

EHOrnament.JPG

Back