• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for July 22, 2024

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Mark Hancock may be unknown, or new to many on this forum. But he has been turning for a long time. Far longer than I. And the skill needed to create this piece, Memories of Philadelphia are only acquired after thousands of hours at the lathe. Mark posted to this forum, four works of art on July 10, 2024, and each one is an example of superior skill and technique. I could only choose one. Mark Hancock’s "Memories of Philadelphia" won Turning of the Week for July 22, 2024. Mark, we are all the better for your contributions to the woodturning community and this forum.

full

In the modern world, it is hard to set yourself apart as nearly everything has already been done, but this is an exception, the delicacy of a thin-necked goblet, but also a carved goblet, and the final touch that puts your mind in a spin is the captive ring? I see a vase, I understand how it was done, I see a bowl, I understand how it was done (probably), but this combination of features is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Zoomin in, it looks like there is a joint at the base (the grain doesn’t run continuously from stem to base). This makes me thing it’s a four-piece turning. Maybe just the result of poor photo resolution.

Last edited:
In the modern world, it is hard to set yourself apart as nearly everything has already been done, but this is an exception, the delicacy of a thin-necked goblet, but also a carved goblet, and the final touch that puts your mind in a spin is the captive ring? I see a vase, I understand how it was done, I see a bowl, I understand how it was done (probably), but this combination of features is nothing short of a masterpiece.
You capture so well what makes this piece extraordinary (to say the least)! I find myself zooming in and out, trying to figure out how this is done (where are there seams, etc...) It is spectacular that, even for those of us who have been turning for a long time, it yields a tremendous sense of mystery and inspiration. Finally, when a piece requires such tremendous skill to bring about an end result in composition and execution that appears simple/elegant, it is the mark of a truly amazing artist!!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Nice choice Donna. Mark’s work is brilliant, and it’s a treat to see him on the forum. Inspiration—congrats on the feature, sir!

Back