• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for July 15, 2024

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I apologize for my slight delay in posting. Life has been a whirlwind lately, and today crept up on me. That said, it gave me an extra day to stumble across a couple of wonderful pieces. Without further ado…

My choice for this week’s featured turning is Linda Ferber’s 1940’s Wig Stand. I am constantly impressed with Linda’s pieces, and I know Im not alone. They are varied, yet are still recognizable as her work. I am a huge fan of this series of stylized wig stands. Partly for the ingenuity, partly to “see what’s next”, and partly because of the great cause these are connected with. What can be better than supporting a fellow human in need, especially when you get to have fun doing so. I talked a bit with Linda in Portland about her wig stand projects, and although I am forgetting the number, her club (and associated) have donated a staggering number of wig stands to people in need.

Linda, when you see this, can you please post a link to the wig-related organization you told me about in Portland? I’m on the road right now, and don’t have the information in front of me.

For these reasons and more, it is my pleasure to choose this special piece for this week’s feature. Nice work Linda, and thank you for all you do!

full

Last edited:
Thank you for the honor of AAW Turning of the week. I am overjoyed!!

Michael asked for information on our chapters partners for donation of the wig stands. I am happy to share our story.

Ebeauty Community https://www.ebeauty.com/

Over the last 10 years approximately 60,000 women and their families have received and/or given wigs through the Wig Exchange Program. Today, EBeauty runs the only national wig exchange program in the United States supporting women undergoing treatment for cancer.

They have two locations in US with plans for another in St Paul. I have met with the founder and she is delightful. MWA started our wig stand campaign in Jan of 2024 and have donated 53 to date.

Our second partner is Wigs for the Cure. This is a group with ties to a clinic, beauty shop and fundraising non-profit serving east central Minnesota. Their clients are given five star treatment.

We are happy to join the Women in Turning group initiative of over twenty chapters with a total of over 650 wig stands donated in the fifteen months since its inception.

If your chapter is wanting to join others in making Wig Stands contact Robin McIntyre robinmcintyre@comcast.net

Wonderful piece, wonderful cause, wonderful turner. A Trifecta, Michael! Great selection.

I am soooo glad I don't have to pick one submission for turning of the week, so also, Thank You! to those who do the selecting. Each week the comments by the selector express an immense variety of reasons the particular piece was selected. Never the same attributes 2 weeks in a row, or even 2 months in a row. This feature is currently one of the best aspects of the forum. So, Thank You! for sharing your work to Linda and to all of you who do so, week in and week out. I love seeing what everyone has done and learn something every day.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Congrats, Linda. Wonderful work and for a wonderful cause. Excellent representation of that time period. Your work is always recognizable as a "Linda" piece.

Interesting to see useful items being turned Linda.

By any chance do you have relative named Gretchen? I know of a Gretchen Ferber from your area. I did a lot of art for Gretchen's husband

Nice selection Michael and I love your introduction of fashions of the time/ age you’ve added to these fantastic donation pieces Linda. I used to think of wigs as simple a fashion choice, thanks for helping us all understand why they are needed so much!!

Back