• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for April 11, 2022

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
My choice for the TOTW of April 11, 2022, goes to Dave Landers " I Was Told I should Remove the Pith" I don't think he thought he had a chance of winning the TOTW or he would have chosen a more artsy title for it, LOL His piece intrigued me the moment I saw the thumbnail. Sometimes, as I'm scrolling I'm not sure what piece I want to choose to look into it further. This one stopped me right in my tracks. is not easy to create something different, out-of-the-box to improve on someone's idea. He did, and IMHO it is his OWN work. The icing on the cake are the Pewa. There is no plural in the Hawaiian vocabulary, one pewa, two pewa. Something was added in front of the word to indicate quantity. The Pewa are flawless, and with square edges, he did a great job cutting the corners. Well done Dave! I'm looking forward to seeing where this idea takes you. Well done. Aloha

1649749528482.png

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Thanks Emiliano, and I really was not aiming for any recognition. I have found, however, that exposing a piece to public viewing (like the gallery here or at a club meeting) helps me to see my likes and dislikes about it - even if no one else says anything, just being in that public eye gives me a different view.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thanks Emiliano, and I really was not aiming for any recognition. I have found, however, that exposing a piece to public viewing (like the gallery here or at a club meeting) helps me to see my likes and dislikes about it - even if no one else says anything, just being in that public eye gives me a different view.
I was joking about that, LOL I think that most of us make things because we are makers. We do not expect awards or recognition. I do get satisfaction when I sell my work. A very worldwide famous artist told me his biggest inspiration was a looming deadline, not the awards that knew were probably coming... Love your work. Aloha from Maui.

Back