• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning "Nook" suggestions

Nook? Dungeon, maybe? :)

I'm getting the new lathe set up in what was most likely a cistern in the basement of my 1860s-ish farmhouse in Upstate NY. It's a little small (~15' l x 5' w), but a decent use of the chopped up shop space that I have.

I've tried to keep the area around the lathe as clear as possible, and am using what were some old closely spaced "built-in" shelves for a grinding station and other storage. I just added some new lighting, so will probably ditch the desk lamps. I have some peg board I can mount on the one side of the shelves for a few things. Floor mats need to get shuffled.

But I still haven't found a decent home for all of my tools, chucks, etc. I used to have a magnetic knife rack on the bench of my old lathe for some tool storage (or just the bench top, lol) but don't really have a place for it here. I had two other small benches in the space previous too. Suggestions for storage that won't take up much space around the lathe? Maybe the peg board will suffice?

Appreciate any thoughts! I've been having fun getting the space cleaned up, organized and functional, but hoping to wrap that up before 'turning season' really starts around here. ;) Thanks for letting me share!

Cheers,
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 66
Website
www.ovwg.org
Ok, I have a couple of simple ideas that may help.

• Order a pegboard. I like the OmniWall system, it is all metal and has nice shelving and accessories. I would put it on the wall left of the headstock for easy access to chucks and other turning essentials.
  • You could also purchase a shelving unit for wood. Sam's Club sells some nice ones, you will find you will collect a lot of wood over time!
  • Organize your turning tools in racks drilled with different sized holes to fit your tools. I have done this and it still works great for me.
  • I would put a nice workbench behind the lathe if possible.

Use up a lot of the wall space as possible, I see a lot of blank walls.

I hope this helps!

I'm getting the new lathe set up

Hello Matt! Looks like a cozy space.

It’s difficult to to think about designing a turning space without being there and seeing it. However, over the years I’ve slowly refined some things that worked for me by experimenting in three different shop areas, one quite “tight”! BTW, I prefer to turn small, detailed things - I”m not overly focused on big bowls and hollow forms.

This is the main lathe space in my latest (and hopefully my last) shop - I’m getting too old to build another shop. I was fortunate to have a good spot near the barn big enough to build a 24x62’ shop. (I tell people I built it with my bare hands but I lie - I used tools! :) ) There is room for turning, sharpening, bandsaw, drum sander, dust collection, big air compressor, office, flatwood tools, electronics repair, small welding shop, little machine shop, and a huge amount of wood storage. (I also incubate and hatch peacock and guinea eggs in the shop and raise them inside until big enough to go in cages outside) I put up two walls to define the rectangular turning space, about 8’x12’, room for two lathes, workbench, tools, and supplies. Sharpening is on the far wall across the room. .At the lathe are three adjustable lights and two up higher in reflectors I can aim where needed.

The main point of this photo is to show how I like tp have many things within arms’ reach. I use magnets a lot to hold things.

lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg

Some things I like:
  • I want to have as many tools as possible within arm’s reach of where I stand at the lathe, or within a few steps. I put most tools in four places, the most used on a wall behind the lathe and on a piece of plywood at the end of the lathe, in a couple of small cabinets and a machinist’s toolbox just 3 steps to the right, and in drawers in a cabinet built into a small work bench behind me - within reach if I turn around. In my last (very tight) shop in a garage I simply leaned a piece of plywood up against the wall and hung tools on deck screws. (I actually moved that plywood and leaned it against the wall in my new shop so I could use the lathe even before I finished the shop, then later put up more permanent mounts in the plywood wall. Lots of small drawers in the mechanic’s toolbox are good for small tools. The larger drawers in the cabinet below hold chucks and other tools. The shallow drawers directly behind me (not visible in the photo) hold lots of gouges and other tools without handles. I built a cabinet salvaged from our kitchen remodel into the wall in the corner for lots of supplies and plastic drawers for lots of small things.
  • Not shown are high higher shelves far enough below the ceiling to hold spray cans and such, reached with either a step-stool or a long reach grabber.
  • The lighting is so important to me. I have learned that with the right lights I can better judge shapes and curves and better see scratches and defects. The lighting I use is a number of fixed or adjustable lights above the lathe - most are sort of “point source” lights which have relatively small bright light sources. For me, the worst light is diffuse lighting, such as indirect or long fluorescent or LED lights mounted high and across the ceiling - this type of lighting actually makes the curvature of the turned shapes harder to evaluate and serves to hide scratches and other defects. Bright lights positioned at glancing angles can make scratches far easier to see. BTW, all of my primary lights are on one switch with some high LEDs on a separate switch I can turn off if needed.
  • I insist on good spongy floor mats at the lathe - hard concrete floors are way too difficult to stand on for hours.
  • For catching shavings I have enough space under that lathe (and another close by) to place a large tub from Walmart up against the wall. This catches most of what would otherwise fall to the floor.
  • When I built this shop I installed a central dust collector system - the duct at the lathe is the 6” white PVC pipe coming from the ceiling) which picks up much of the dust and small shavings that would otherwise go elsewhere.
I wish I could see your space and get a feel for just how I’d design things. Maybe you could draw the floor plan with dimensions and indicate the free wall heights.

With a space as small as it looks like yours appears to be, I might consider building a long cabinet behind me with a bunch of fairly narrow shelves (perhaps wide enough to hold a some stackable shallow bins such as the Sterilite. I use many of these in various sizes for tools, sandpaper, finishing wax, etc. Shelves above could also hold supplies.

I’d certainly put some effort and maybe some experimentation into lathe lighting.

The way I like to work, I’d definitely put a piece of 1/2” ply on a frame fastened to the wall behind the lathe for wall storage.

If the rock walls or floors may be even slightly damp at times a good moisture barrier behind the ply could help. (Is there moisture or high humidy in the space? If so, good dehumidification and other moisture control may be needed to prevent rust.)

Ideally, the grinder should put the wheels about the same height as the lathe spindle. Some of the motions used for free-hand grinding are similar to those used at the lathe.

It appears you may not have space to install a good dust collection system, in which case I’d get a good industrial respirator and some N95 masks.

It looks like you already have good floor mats!

JKJ

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Some general thoughts I have about shop/lathe setup:

I don't like reaching over the lathe to get at tools - too tempting to reach over something spinning. So all my lathe tools (gouges, chucks, centers, calipers, etc) are on a wall behind me or to the left beside the headstock.

I like pegboard, some people hate it. White pegboard, see lighting below.

I have a rolling tool cart to the left of my headstock - the top surface is nice to set things on, and stuff inside the drawers is handy and mostly clean of chips (when I remember to shut the drawer).

I like space on the "other side" of the lathe but you don't have much option there. You'll have to have some storage on that wall just because of limited space. But consider how you can get a plain solid background in front of the storage to help you see form/shape. Just a white board or pull-down shades etc in front of whatever's there will help.

In some of my past shop setups, it has worked well to angle the lathe. Might be something to experiment with - might get better access if you stand at the end of the lathe for hollowing. Or to get access to things on the wall behind the lathe. Etc. Again, maybe not as 5' is not much width to work with.

Lighting. I'd try to get 2 or 3 LED strip lights above the lathe area. I prefer 5000K color temp personally. More strips will leave fewer shadows. It also helps to reduce the "brown" from a basement shop - paint the walls and shelves etc and ceiling (if you can) an off-white for better light reflection/distribution. And even all that light blinds you, you'll still need a movable lamp.

Wire shelves - got mine from Home Despot. Good for storing wood and bins of things, and the shelves don't collect dust/chips. Not so good for small items tho. Mine are the big 2'x4' size, you might not have room for that. But the wire shelves they make for closet organizer systems might be something to think about for at least some storage.

Just some thoughts,
Happy organizing!

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Small item to add: hang a shower curtain behind your lathe to keep all the flying chips from getting into that nook area up high. This will help keep the area clean and hopefully critter free.

Dave's suggestion to paint the walls white is spot on--it can make a huge difference in visibility, and also cheeriness.

A pegboard is a good idea, a solid plywood 'wall', as John describes and illustrates, would be another way to go--2X2s or flat laid 2X4s, fixed to the masonry wall, with 1/2 sheet goods over them would allow you infinite options for pegs, narrow shelves, hooks, etc.

Since rust is an ever-present issue for turners, have you considered a dehumidifier? You will be working in a very large bucket, after all.

Hi Matt,

It's also worth checking out these super-helpful existing mega-threads. I definitely mined these for ideas for my own lathe workstation setup.
  1. Photos of your workstation
  2. Show us your tool rack/cart
Those are two good starting points. Especially finding interesting ideas in there and searching these forums will turn up other related helpful info.

Good luck dialing your space in!

Appreciate all these thoughts. I'm in the midst of fitting out a new small shop and there are a lot of good suggestions here.

Minor mod today, setup a basic pegboard. :)

This should help though; most of my usual tools now have a spot. Still need to adjust the grinder setup and make room for another chuck & sets of jaws.

I even got a chance to fight with a little spalted maple today! Great success! ;)

Cheers all and thanks for the help,
Matt

IMG_0160.jpeg

Oh, Matt, you'll need 4 times that much room for all the crap, er, tools you'll acquire. Start now thinking where more panels could go.
lol. I was definitely feeling a bit inadequate when it all fit on the one board.

I do have room on the side of the shelves where the grinder is for more peg board. Now I’m worried it’s not enough! ;)

I'll add a contrast to Dave's point above:
I don't like reaching over the lathe to get at tools - too tempting to reach over something spinning.

I agree completely re: not reaching over a spinning lathe, but I can't afford to not "spend" all the wall space behind my lathe. I do have some Wall Control pegboard there and a custom shelf below that. I do store chucks, centers, jaws, tool rests, etc. Almost all the items directly behind the lathe are things that the lathe needs to be off to use in any event, which avoids temptation. And an important personal note: I don't have strong "leave the lathe on" instincts. Quite the opposite, in fact. (Kudos to my early instructors who emphasized that point.) I do leave it on to pop to the grinder (immediately to my left at the headstock end), or to my staging cart just behind me (a very-multipurpose scissor cart).

So any turning tools I'd want when working at the lathe are stored on the wall past the tailstock end of the lathe, or much more likely, have already been pulled out and staged on the cart. That's also where I stage my diamond hone, stop, etc. for tools that use such.

I don't like reaching over the lathe to get at tools - too tempting to reach over something spinning. So all my lathe tools (gouges, chucks, centers, calipers, etc) are on a wall behind me or to the left beside the headstock.
I've positioned my lathes with things on the wall on the far side of the lathe since the beginning of time. I don't think I've ever reached over/behind something spinning on the lathe.

For one thing, I don't put turning tools like gouges there. I put things I reach for when the lathe is off, like tool rests, calipers, centers etc.

Regardless of what's stored there I think the safety aspect is more a matter of discipline. For example, I can't imagine swapping tool rests or centers when the lathe is running. (I have no problem with reaching for pencils and such high above the lathe.)

All my chucks and things are in drawers a few steps away, but also can't imagine any reason to need one when the lathe is spinning.

I will reach for a piece of sandpaper but that is above and to the right of the tailstock for the things I do, not over anything spinning. Reaching over or behind when anything large, long, or ragged is spinning sounds dangerous!

I fetch things like gouges and skews I might use while the lathe is spinning and put them on sliding trays on the lathe bed, to the right of the tailstock. These tools are on a perpendicular wall to the right of the lathe, in drawers and shelves to the right of that, in drawers under the workbench behind me, or for things not often used, across the room.

But the point about not reaching over or behind spinning things is certainly a good one and should be taught to new turners (along with the discussion about long hair and loose clothing.) I'll add that to my list.

While on the topic of safety while spinning things, my primary lathe has an emergency shutoff switch mounted magnetically to the front of the bed, easily accessed with the leg or hand.

JKJ

Back