• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Moose Antler

A friend has offer me a old set of moose antler I have no intrest in the antlers themself but can it be turned. Has anyone ever tried how does it turn and how does it loook please let me know

I can't speak to how it turns personally, but I have been told that sharp tools are needed. The pen that I saw turned from antler was quite beautiful.

Moose antler is bone. Wear dust protection when turning. The center part is most likely has holes or web like. Near the base it will be solid. Smells when turning and sanding.
Hugh

Many years ago I would carve, moose antler with a dremmel tool. From what I remember the center was not like bone or deer antler but solid. This solid nature, allowed you to have deeper relief without hitting the marrow(?).

cg

Back