• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

turning LVL?

Working on adding a beam to my workshop. Today I cut it to length and had a 12 x 12 inch piece left over. Has anyone tried turning LVL? I was thinking of a platter blank which would give me concentric rings. (LVL = laminated veneer lumber sort of like plywood but each layer has the grain going the same direction)

Jesse,
A guy from our woodturning club brings in cutoffs regularly. Most of us have turned them. They turn pretty well and occasionally we can get a very attractive piece. That said, they are no substitute for a nice hardwood log. Consider them for practice pieces, with an occasional surprise “hidden inside”.
Jon

The glue in the beams/glue lams/ OSB (oriented strand board) pieces is harder than the woods, and will dull the tools very quickly. There tend to be a lot of voids in them, but it does work.

robo hippy

Working on adding a beam to my workshop. Today I cut it to length and had a 12 x 12 inch piece left over. Has anyone tried turning LVL? I was thinking of a platter blank which would give me concentric rings. (LVL = laminated veneer lumber sort of like plywood but each layer has the grain going the same direction)
What Robo said. Expect to sharpen A LOT!

You can get some interesting grain patterns with laminated lumber, it is slower turning and knocks the cutting edge down pretty quick.

Back