• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Lilac

Has anyone ever turned Lilac? I have a 4" log, I am thinking about doing something with. Seams to be very hard and stringy wood. My wife loves Lilacs, so I though I would try to make something for her. Any help would be appreciated.
Woodbass

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Lilac splits something terrible. The wood is also one of the hardest/densest domestic woods around.

I have a limited supply that I have made pens out of, I just love the finish you can get on lilac.

I turn quite a bit of lilac. It cuts like butter. It sure does split on a spiral which ruins a lot of wood but occasionally I get a larger piece for a vase or whatever. I make a lot of wine stoppers with it.
Norm

lilac

Years ago I tried to make salt/pepper shakers. Got one done but couldn't get another piece that wasn't split. Often the brush (can't say tree) stem?? Isn't round but severe indentation. The wood then had pretty purple streaks. Recently, 2 different friends gave me some lilac, and was disappointed in the little purple that was in it. I made a couple of "baby bowls" (3 1/2"x 1 1/2")for new house warming gift(for the donor) that were real pretty with some worm holes and a little purple. I have also turned "tree Lilac" which is a totally different beast. So I think you mean the former. Sorry Michael/Mark etc. , don't know the genus/species.:D Gretch

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I turned these recently:
Lilac Bowls
4 inch diameter is really big for lilac, have fun with it!
I had let most of the "logs" sit for over a year and split where they wanted to. I got some decent tiny bowl blanks and pen/finial stuff. The bark is really the only stringy part, the wood cuts nicely (as others have already said)...
I did cut up some pieces earlier, cutting out the pith line - they didn't split - oh, one crotch piece went crazy and was no good, but the others worked out well.

That purple seems to fade pretty quickly once it hits daylight:(

Lilac

I am surprised by the number of responses! I didn't know why I was saving it but now I am glad I did. It has been in my Garage for more than a year maybe two. It has now moved up on my list of projects. Thanks for the feedback.
Woodbass

Back