• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Fla. cypress? Live oak ?

So I ran into a local ( southeast Florida) tree service owner today and asked if I could acquire some logs for turning. He told me that he has some recently cut cypress and oak. I have never turned cypress before and my only experience with oak was with live oak and it cracked badly. Full disclosure; when I tried the live oak I was still very new to turning and probably didn’t take proper precautions in storing the wood and likely left it too thick after finish turning ( once turned). Meeting him at his yard day after tomorrow and was just looking here for advice from more seasoned turners on these two species of wood. Any advice appreciated.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
In most cases I would prefer oak over cypress.
You should try some of each.

Cypress is too soft for functional bowls. It is usually pretty bland.
Makes great full size birdhouses

I turn quite a bit of laurel oak and some live oak.

This was a shot of oak bowls in progress all from Florida
Going clock wise the one with bark was a picked up from a pile of roadside yard trash species unknown
Live oak, two at the top laurel oak. For scale to two larger ones are 15-16” on the long axis.
IMG_1112.jpeg

Laurel oak 9” x 5” Florida
IMG_1111.jpeg

Red oak with spalting sapwood - Maryland
IMG_4226.jpeg

Last edited:
In most cases I would prefer oak over cypress.
You should try some of each.

Cypress is too soft for functional bowls. It is usually pretty bland.
Makes great full size birdhouses

I turn quite a bit of laurel oak and some live oak.

This was a shot of oak bowls in progress all from Florida
Going clock wise the one with bark was a picked up from a pile of roadside yard trash species unknown
Live oak, two at the top laurel oak. For scale to two larger ones are 15-16” on the long axis.
View attachment 61237

Laurel oak 9” x 5” Florida
View attachment 61238

Red oak with spalting sapwood - Maryland
View attachment 61239
Hockenbery, thanks for the response. Guess I’ll go on Thursday and grab a little of each. Maybe establish a relationship for future opportunities. There’s lots of other woods that I’m sure he runs across.

I have only turned a couple cypress bowls from dried wood. They turned well without any problems. The wood was a very light color of yellow and I thought quite attractive. Both sold quickly.

I am going to turn some cypress for fishing gaffs. The cypress I have is very wet, 33% MC. I rough turned it and it is now in my kiln. Soft wood turns easily. Looks a like pine to me with a tighter grain pattern. For a bowl a negative would be it dents easily. It is very light weight.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hockenbery, thanks for the response. Guess I’ll go on Thursday and grab a little of each. Maybe establish a relationship for future opportunities. There’s lots of other woods that I’m sure he runs across.
If he’s providing the wood free,
A turned gift is always appreciated. If you have a turned pen that might work.
A nice bowl in the future

I turn a lot of live oak and love the figure. drying is important otherwise you need to turn thin if wet and it will warp. It is also great for birdhouse ornaments, and I like to leave as much bark on it as possible. When dried though, it can be pretty hard.

Like someone else said, Cypress can be pretty bland and it is in the conifer family meaning that it is soft.

You might not want to turn the cypress wet, but I think it would look very nice. The cypress I have worked has a distinct late grain, not unlike Douglas Fir. Just bigger growth rings. And as I always say on posts like this; ALL WOOD IS NICE TO TURN.

I have only turned a couple cypress bowls from dried wood. They turned well without any problems. The wood was a very light color of yellow and I thought quite attractive. Both sold quickly.
Here is some Altamaha river sinker cypress from the tidal zone....45,000 years old. The photos do not do the wood justice

Attachments

• DSC02332.JPG
    DSC02332.JPG
    866.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02333.JPG
    DSC02333.JPG
    883.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02335.JPG
    DSC02335.JPG
    883.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02338.JPG
    DSC02338.JPG
    860.8 KB · Views: 24
The general rules for drying and storing wood apply -- coat the cut ends, remove the pith, be patient. You can cut blanks and rough turn to speed the drying process; wood being wood, don't expect all of it to turn out as you want.

Back