• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turned baby gift?

One of my staff is having a baby in a couple of months (well, his wife is). I am considering what to give them and whether it should be for the baby or parents. Looking for suggestions and ideas! Have you made baby gifts? Pictures are always welcomed.
Thanks
Doug

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
One of my staff is having a baby in a couple of months (well, his wife is). I am considering what to give them and whether it should be for the baby or parents. Looking for suggestions and ideas! Have you made baby gifts? Pictures are always welcomed.
Thanks
Doug

It would be smart to ask your wife and get her opinion on making a toy vs something more practical at this stage.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For a baby my favorite is a rattle like the one in the Nick Cook article.
AAW journal - Fall 2004

Baby rattles, turned, 19.3:50–53

I have made several mostly from cherry.

Al

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al, that may be just the ticket. There is info online about Nick's rattle process. What would be a good finish?

One of the advantages of AAW membership is the thousands of articles in past journals.
I use walnut oil as a finish on the rattles.

We get get a large cheap bottle from Whole Foods

It will dry to the touch over night and dry quite hard in 2-3 days.
We have been using the food style walnut oil for about 20 years on various turnings.
We use it on all our kid's class projects. The kids can clean up by licking their fingers :)

A lot of folks think the grocery store walnut oil doesn't work as well as other products.
They may be right. But the grocery store stuff will dry in a few days and is about as food safe as you can get.
It works.

According to the CDC Tree nut allergies occur in 1.2% of our population and some fraction will be allergic to Walnuts and some of those to extracts from walnuts.
I have never encountered or heard a factual account of anyone being allergic to walnut oil finish.
Peanut allergies are a bit more common than tree nut allergies and some people are allergic to both.

I do know a couple of people who get allergic reactions to turning walnut.
Tung oil is a nut product too and people do report having allergic reactions to tung oils.

Al

Last edited:
I was at a 2 demo with Nick cook 5 years ago and bought one of his rattle banks (maple. routed "hole", glued up the 2 sides, dried ?beans, and ready to turn. Gave to granddaughter when she was about 4-6 months old (heavier than plastic) I see when my grandson came along 2 1/2 years later they had saved that "toy" as a family heirloom and he was able to use it. Gretch

Back