• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

True Lignum Vitae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
I’ve been carrying this small log of Lignum Vitae for the last 20 years.
It’s time to do something with it. It measures 9.5”x8”x10.5” long.
I have an idea to turn one small natural edge bowl and sell off the rest. The problem is that it will cost one band saw blade to cut it up.
The dot in the middle is the pith. The curved lines show ring shakes.
Any interest in the remnants?

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 47
Angelo,
My daughter is definitely interested in the "remnants". She recently ordered a box of LV from eBay and ended up with what I referred to as bits and pieces. Let me know how much you want for it. I will probably just buy it for her as a surprise.
Jay

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Ok. What is she planning to make? I’ll try to keep that in mind when I cut it up.
Unfortunately my band saw needs a new capacitor (parts should arrive next week) so it may take a while to get it done

The piece she is working on where she ordered the LV is a joint project with another club member. It is a tea pot. One person makes a part and gives it to the other. That person then makes another part and returns it for the person to make the next part. The parts she ordered the LV for were the lid, spout and handle. She made do with the parts, however, it was a limiting factor. She told me how much she liked the LV and how she wished she had more. The process they are using on this project is an interesting concept for a project and I am looking forward to seeing their finished piece.

I am really proud of her and her work. I have attached a few photos of her past work.

Long story short, just cut the LV anyway that works best for you. I am sure she will make something beautiful out of whatever size you end up with.

Let me know how much I owe you and the cost of shipping.

Jay
1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
If you end up with a piece that’s around 3x3x3” that doesn’t fit in Jay’s box, let me know what it’ll cost me. If it all goes to Jay, that’s cool too!

Angelo,
Absolutely cut a piece for Mike before you worry about anything for my daughter. I haven’t said anything to her about the LV yet so she won’t be disappointed with whatever I get for her. She hasn’t any plans for anything specific as far I know. She will be thrilled with what ever she ends up with.
Jay

Website
www.ovwg.org
Angelo,
Absolutely cut a piece for Mike before you worry about anything for my daughter. I haven’t said anything to her about the LV yet so she won’t be disappointed with whatever I get for her. She hasn’t any plans for anything specific as far I know. She will be thrilled with what ever she ends up with.
Jay
"Mike" is that the new name now....😄 If so it's pretty cool to be known so well they call you by your shortened name!!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
"Mike" is that the new name now....😄 If so it's pretty cool to be known so well they call you by your shortened name!!
Hahaha, either is fine by me. “What is in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.” 😀

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
See the photo of how I plan to cut up the LV log See if there are pieces you like.
Michael your best bet for a 3” cube is the piece on the left marked 4” you can choose all heart wood or some sap wood. Since the log in 10.5” long there will be some shorts.
Please email ur preferences to ajiafrate@me.com

Attachments

• LV Log aji.jpg
    LV Log aji.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back