• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trans Tint Dyeing turnings??

On the web I have seen lots of turnings that are dyed, with an array of bright multiple colors fading into one another.

I'm interested in trying to achive that type of finish, I have bought myself 5 - 2 fl. oz. bottles of Trans Tint Dyes in

Blue
Green
Lemon Yellow
Orange
Purple

The store was out of Red

On finewoodworking.coms website they have a few vids of how to create a sunburst finish, he uses the powerd water dyes. can be found here.
How to Create a Sunburst Finish

A finish like you would see a a fine Electric Guitar, or Mandolin.

A finish something like these by Chris Pytlik (pic found on the AAw website members gallery)

Fire_And_Ice_edited-1.jpg

And of course , I LOVE THIS ONE!!!
yellowyes.gif

Red_White_And_Blue.jpg

I have GOT to make myself something with a Patriotic finish like that!

Heres one called Purple Sunset that I like too.

Purple_Sunset-1.jpg

Take a look at Michael Allison's web site here.
Michael Allison

He does some Vibrantly colored works also.
05-059-O-LG.jpg

06-023-O-LG.jpg

04-024-O-LG.jpg

06-019-O-LG.jpg

06-013-H-LG.jpg

So i'm looking for tips, tricks, and anything else to help achive finishes like this.

I'd really like to SEE some of yours too if anyone here is using the Trans Tint dyes.

Thanks.

Back