• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

tool rests--Woodcraft/Best

I just got my 1442 and love it, the supplied rest is great for bowls, but not for small items, I need to get another shorter rest, does anyone use either one of the 2 mentioned?..I have Woodcraft locally, and have only good about them but only from one person, and the same for the Best modular rests, I haven't used the rolled modular rests, so have nothing to base decision on..any input is appreciated...Dennis

The Woodcraft line-up is OK, of note is the one I bought the stem fit a tad loose in my banjo -- but works fine anyway.

Also, I had to exchange the post I originally purchased for a longer one... and then cut it to optimize it for my 1642 (the short one was too short and the long one was too long).

To avoid that, I suggest you take your banjo and factory rest to the store when you make your selection in order to assure the correct options for the fit and height.

BH

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I am a big fan of the Bestwoodtools rests. I have been using them for years now. If you are going with a rest longer than 6", I would go with the 1" diameter ones. Also, while the idea of the interchangeable posts is a great idea, if you are buying more than one rest, by a post for each. Saves time.

Website
sawsndust.com
I have both the Woodcraft rest and several Bestwood Tools rests...and I greatly prefer the latter. The only negative with them is that as a round rest, the are not good for detailing where you want to have support right up to the workpiece...since they are round, they are quite be nature "away" from the turning at the top.

Another approach to getting exactly the tool rest you want is to have one or more made. When I bought my DVR 3000 it came with a 12 inch long rest on a 1 inch post. I took this to a local welding shop where I had a 4 inch and an 8 inch made. They cost me $50 total. The DVR rest itself is made from 10mm steel with the top edge beveled so I can get up very close to the workpiece. The two I had made are actually 3/8 inch steel plate with identical angles, bevel, etc. They all work great for for just a tad over 1/2 the cost and no shipping & handling.

I use the Bestwood Tools rest set. I bought the whole set a year or so ago from Craft Supply, and later bought another post so I can swap them out faster. They do everything I can ask and I am very happy with them, always have a size I can use. The only negative comment is that they are fairly soft steel. Every now and then I have to touch them up with a file to get some nicks out, although I will also say as my turning skills get better I get fewer nicks to begin with. :rolleyes:

Ray "Woodwish" Wishart

Back