• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tom Willing

Thank you, Bill Boehme for letting me know how to redirect my post so folks would see it.

I did my first turnings at about age ten under my dad's watchful eye. While there were many years between then and now when the lathe was quiet, I have found a lot of gratification and success in recent years designing pieces, selling them through galleries and shows with a lottle help from my turning acquaintances, absorbing and offering up information to my AAW and fellow local club members who are in truth more often my betters than not. I teach the occasional workshop (no better way to learn something than to teach it), demo at club shows and local events, and give selective private instruction to individuals of all ages.

I have served as President of the Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild and still serve as President of Frogwood, An Artist's Collaborative, which formerly was under the umbrella of PNWG but is now a fully independent 501(c)(3) public charity devoted to arts education. I am also an active member of Northwest Woodturners, a Portland, Oregon AAW affiliate.

No doubt, I will gain more from my membership here than I will contribute, but it will not be for want of motivation to contribute as much as I take away.

Back