• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

To fill or not to fill

I have an elm burl dish roughed out. There are little 1/8" to 3/8" cracks all over the place. What would you do with these? Would you fill the little voids or leave as is for character. What would you finish it with? I am considering either leaving as is and sanding to 320 grit before using Osmo on the piece, or filling everything and putting a glossy finish. All ideas are appreciated.
IMG_0529[1].JPG IMG_0528[1].JPG

It depends on what you intend to use it for and how much time you want to spend on it. If utility then fill them. If decorative then leave as is. The finish you use will depend on intended use also. I just went through this on the what's on your lathe thread with a burl. I cleaned and filled worm holes and cracks. It took all day to fix it up and there are still some small cracks around burl areas I didn't fill because I would be another day. Pretty piece of wood.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Me, I'd leave it. Those are small voids and often filling them will clash with the burl and leave you unsatisfied. My opinion. And also my opinion that a thick built-up shiny film finish also distracts from the wood.

I also want to say that even a "utility" piece can have voids and holes. It just depends on what it is utilized for. Nuts, chips, popcorn, fruit - no problem. Dry veggies or salad - ok. Drinking cups - no. Salad with dressing to seep into the voids - not so good. (If the holes go all the way thru and you're willing to rinse them thoroughly and clean the mess on the table - ok).

Hi Darryn- lots of good points here. I think Dave summed it up best. IMO leave the voids and carry on with the Osmo. I look forward to seeing it when it's done.

Hi Darryn- lots of good points here. I think Dave summed it up best. IMO leave the voids and carry on with the Osmo. I look forward to seeing it when it's done.
Thanks everyone. I have about 10 pieces of nice burl from a huge elm that was cut up mostly for table slabs. This piece will be finished with a little sanding and osmo as a decorative bowl. I plan to make some kind of lid for it eventually, maybe out of copper. Some of the other pieces may be filled or finished differently as I like to experiment with other options.

Back