• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tips

I just wanted to post a couple of tips, that might be as helpful to y'all, as they are to me.

1) When laying out circles to saw bowl blanks, I first started out making my circles out of cardboard, with a nail in the center. Easier for me, than using ply, etc., as some do. I didn't always have the proper size CB disk, so, I began looking for alternatives. I settled on a nail, a piece of string, & a pencil, or marker. I also, use a stick, or a length of old yardstick, with holes at various increments, for the pencil to go in, place a nail in one end to draw any size circle I need. Voila, two very cheap trammells.

2) I recently discovered that when my sandpaper gets clogged, if I hit it with a shot of compressed air, it will remove all, or most of the clog.

Anybody else want to add anything?

W.C.

Might want to get some of that "appleply" 1/4 stuff. Allows you to go to a circle-cutting jig, or to a pin-reference jig where you put the end of a bolt through your saw's insert and use it to run against the plywood. Especially useful for those that are too tall for the saw where you can tilt, cut, invert, cut, then stand up straight for the final trim.

File card is effective against small diameter disks where the big eraser doesn't work. Alternative of a brass BBQ cleaner brush or flux brush. Works even on wet gugk that's tough to get off with air.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<Might want to get some of that "appleply" 1/4 stuff. Allows you to go to a circle-cutting jig,>>>

My old Grizzly saw is only a 14", w/o a riser block, so I usually use the chainsaw on blanks. Do you have a pic of that Jig?

Thanks,

W.C.

I took one a year or so ago which resided on the old hard drive, and I was embarrassed to send it to a friend, much less expose it to the world. It's sadder-looking now.

One of these days I'll build one of these good looking types like http://www.wgo.ca/jigs/bandsaw_circle_jig.htm or http://www.plansnow.com/bandsaw.html You can spend time, or you can realize there are three important points to it: the miter guide to push the thing into the blade, the limit bar to stop the push when the front of the blade is in line with the center point, and the center point, around which you rotate the piece.

Mine's from Mark Duginskie's Bandsaw Book,

<<<"Mine's from Mark Duginskie's Bandsaw Book,">>> I've got that book, I'll take a look. I've got one of his video's that could possibly have it on it. I haven't watched it in a long time.

Back