• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Three new PM3520 Tips

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
I was emailed some very nice new Mustard Monster tips that have not, I believe, been posted on a major forum.

1. Another, of many nice ideas, for a spindle lock is at the top of the page HERE
Thanks Joesph O'Leary

2. A simple way of keeping the tail stock locking lever up while moving the tailstock. Thanks Art Ransom

3. And just when I thought all the ideas for handling the tail stock had been developed a very elegant solution shows up. Thanks Peter Haney

These two tailstock ideas are HERE

And there is a new page for Miscellaneous Tips. It would be nice to get some more! So post them here or email

Last edited:
I think you accidentally pasted in the address for the spindle lock idea as the tailstock ideas link.

I find it really helpful if the tailstock locking lever stays in the unlocked position until I lock it down. I just loop a heavy rubber band over the quill housing, near the hand wheel. Then I loop it over the knob of the locking lever. The rubber band keeps the lever pulled straight up, but it is not strong enough to pull the lever up when I've locked down the tailstock. I often take the tailstock off, and when I put it back on, it's really handy to have the rubber band holding the lever in the unlocked position.

Bill Siler

tips

I just wanted to say thanks!! for all the tips and work to keep the mustard site up and informative. As a new owner this is a great site . Thanks again!! George

Back