• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Rikon 70-1824 Has Arrived

The truck driver couldn't get up my driveway (he was in a semi) so I drove down to the road and we loaded it into the pickup. That worked out pretty well because I didn't have to lift the lathe. I was able to slide it out enough to attach the right side legs. It got a little dicey on the left side, but I prevailed.

IMG_20240507_124052.jpg

Half way there.

IMG_20240507_141835.jpg

IMG_20240507_171227.jpg

I think I'm ready to give it a try. I bought the bed extension primarily so I can slide the tailstock out of the way. Rikon accessories are pretty reasonable. I bought a bundle which includes an outboard tool rest assembly and the 16" bed extension for $250.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
View: https://youtu.be/6_cDT-Z3fwM

Looks like a well thought out lathe to me. It has some very important features that would be mandatory for me, if I ever replace my 32 year old Woodfast lathe. (IMHO, the first two of these three features represent the future of woodturning)

Rotating headstock

Magnetic relocatable control box

Offset "elbow" or "dogleg" style banjo

Also, there are some other very interesting and innovative features, such as the 3-position relocatable extension, and choice of running the motor on either 110v or 220v.....among others.

The only thing that would be a deal killer for me, is the weight is only 373 lbs. I would only be interested in another lathe that is as heavy, or heavier than my Woodfast at 525 lbs.

Scroll down to see the specs:

-o-

@Brent@TurnRobust

Last edited:

Looks like a well thought out lathe to me. It has some very important features that would be mandatory for me, if I ever replace my 32 year old Woodfast lathe. (IMHO, the first two of these three features represent the future of woodturning)

Rotating headstock

Offset "elbow" style banjo

Also, there are some other very interesting and innovative features, such as the 3-position relocatable extension, and choice of running the motor on either 110v or 220v.....among others.

The only thing that would be a deal killer for me, is the weight is only 373 lbs. I would only be interested in another lathe that is as heavy, or heavier than my Woodfast at 525 lbs.

-o-

@Brent@TurnRobust

I hear you. You are one of the few people who really need that weight, given the stuff you turn. I assume a lot of it is off-balance to start with.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I hear you. You are one of the few people who really need that weight, given the stuff you turn. I assume a lot of it is off-balance to start with.

Yes, correct, Kent......A lot of my wood blanks have a high MC, as well as erratic grain patterns. Depending on the species, some of them warp significantly during the seasoning process......many times enough to cause an extreme out-of-balance condition. These are the times when the weight of the lathe itself, is important for tuning in the best vibration free rpm.

Note: It's not just a matter of adding sandbags, or weights suspended between the legs......but, weight incorporated into the body of the lathe itself is much more critically important for it's stabilizing effect.

-o-

Website
www.ovwg.org

Rotating headstock

Offset "elbow" or "dogleg" style banjo

-o-

@Brent@TurnRobust
You really want Brent to build you that rotating headstock Sweet 16!

I started with a Sears lathe (tube bed, 3/4" spindle) but quickly moved up to a Delta swivel head when they first came out. I had vibration problems so bought a General 160 that served me well for many years. I wanted a big Oneway but couldn't get it into my basement so bought Nova Galaxy. There is a new Oneway that is between the 12" and monster types but really, I'm getting too old to justify another change.

I started with a Sears lathe (tube bed, 3/4" spindle) but quickly moved up to a Delta swivel head when they first came out. I had vibration problems so bought a General 160 that served me well for many years. I wanted a big Oneway but couldn't get it into my basement so bought Nova Galaxy. There is a new Oneway that is between the 12" and monster types but really, I'm getting too old to justify another change.
Graham:
Getting old was the excuse I used for buying a Oneway lathe - well actually "I'm not getting any younger" was my rational. No regrets either other than back issues have precluded much in the way woodworking activities of late. I must admit my General 160 looks a bit forlorn beside the Oneway!
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Back