• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Fingertip Top & The Spinning Vessel

Website
www.chakajo.com
In this thread here - http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=3471 To Patent or not? - I was actually talking about the Spinning Spaceships that you can now find in my gallery.

I've adapted the idea, and come up with several variations. The Fingertip
Top and Spinning Vessel are the two basic turnings, and the subject
of my long talked about tutorial.

Check out the tutorial on my website - www.ChaKaJo.com - or follow this
link here - http://www.chakajo.com/The-Fingertip-Top-&-Spinning-Vessel-high-res.pdf

If you have any comments, questions or suggestions please email me at charles@chakajo.com

I'm hoping for some feedback, so let me know what y'all think of the idea and the tutorial. I have pics in the gallery.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank you up front for being so open with your idea. I haven't seen wood designs patented and would guess that it's pretty difficult to do. I have, however, had folks I thought I was friends with refuse to discuss new things they were turning for fear of competition in the marketplace. Always rubbed me wrong cause I'd like to think they know I wouldn't undercut them intentionally.

I've been doing hollow bottom tops for many years but always with the spindle still attached. Now I've got a whole new toy for my Xmas presents. This should be fun.

dk

Surely by releasing the Design, i.e. a Picture into the Public Domain you have relinquished any possibility of obtaining a Patent? ... Richard
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Not necessarily, as long as it was he who published it (according to my imperfect understanding). The specifications for many patents reference catalog citations of the very product, for example.

Note I'm not a patent attorney, nor do I play one on television, but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express.

In any event, the earlier thread indicates that Charles has persuaded himself that a patent is not the path to glory, and that he still has a leg up on the competition.

BTW, very cool idea, Chakajo. Best of luck with it.

Joe

I looked into patent once , the attorney said " Paul , new and or improved to provide benifit over the old one" , well I tossed it in the heap......public domain is also tough to get around, the plans ( the name of the thing/s mostly) tho can be copy-righted as long as no one else has thought of it before you and / or you can prove you thought it up first (way hard to do) . Lots of checking , more checking, and still more checking with the copyright people and the patient office. Good luck for sure! It is like my pipe handle collect thingy, or anyones collet handle thingy....the name one could copyright " wizbang handle" , no one could use that if I got it CR'd.

I just printed a copy of your tutorial. VERY interesting and unique. I plan to give this a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing it with us!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just went through your tutorial. What I think is really good about this is not the lesson on how to make the tops but the lesson on how you take an idea and build on it until you have something that is your own. Every turner should read that. Based on what I see here you will continue to be original developing new ideas as you go along. You seem to have that attitude. Great job and good tutorial.

Website
www.chakajo.com
I'm just returning the favor

To those who have taken a look and given me some thanks...Well, it is my pleasure. I'm only returning the favor.

I don't care about "giving away the idea." That's the whole point behind the detailed tutorial. I never intended to keep this idea for myself. There are too many smiles to be had, and I just wouldn't feel right. Make a really simple one and see how many people are just fascinated.

I think I've been a little misunderstood on the patent and protection thing. All I have been worried about is that someone else will claim the Spinning Spaceship idea, and either stop me from making them or make so many that my name is no longer associated (I should note that I live in Roswell, NM). Without at least a copyright on something I would have no protection from that. Technically all I had to do was write up the methods in a short advanced how to, and register the copyright. If I hadn't announced it I'm sure it would've been a long time before it was found on my website, especially if I hadn't put it on the frong page. I put so much work in and posted it because I wanted to share it with all levels of the turning community.

Woodturning is a very different thing than any other I've ever encountered. I've achieved my current level in less than 19 months, and I owe that to the open and helping nature of the woodturner. I see this as a tradition, and I'm thrilled to carry it on and give something back.

Like I've said before, I'm sure so and so has been making something with a similar concept for decades. Someone else did it a hundred years ago, and someone else a thousand years ago. I haven't been able to find a record of anything though, so to me this is an original idea. I intend to run with it. They are addictive to say the least. I'm sure I'll make plenty of the Spinning Spaceships, but as y'all can see those are more of a novelty. The Symmetry in Motion series that's based on the idea will be something I intend to explore and push my limits with over a long time.

Thanks again & happy spinning

Back