• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Teaching:

Website
www.aioncompany.com
Hello Friends,
I have an opportunity to start teaching a basic "turn a bowl" course to individual students. I've never taught before and could use any helpful tips.
Thanks in advance.
David

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Have fun. How long will you class(s) be.
When I taught the beginning bowl class at MD hall in Annapolis it was 8 meetings of 2.5 hours each.

The biggest thing - don’t try to teach them everything at once and don’t teach them things they aren’t going to use in the current class. This is sometimes difficult when you get asked questions. I try to always either answer a question or state when we will get to that in the course. A question that is way off in the weeds- I’ll tell the student to see me after class. Or once in a great while - I don’t know. With multiple classes, I sharpen all the tools in the first classes.

plan a set of exercises
Class 1 - lathe parts, safety, class traditions any lathe running face shields on. Students can’t use the bandsaw.
turn a carving mallet. 3.3x3.5x10 blank usually green wood - tools SRG, 1/2” spindle gouge, parting tool
I have each student do 2 good cuts on the demo lathe then they rough a cylinder.
Then make a parting cut to mark the handle section. They then turn beads all along the handle 1/2 spindle gouge
Smooth the handle SRG. Turn coves on the handle section, smooths the handle with the SRG
Finish turn the mallet
This gets them used to the lathe an simple tools
IMG_7477.jpeg

Class 2 rough turn a bowl 8-10 “ disc 3-4” high started on a screw.
Bowl gouge, spindle gouge (tenon), round nose scrape
I teach them to sharpen the scraper on a platform
Push cuts, scraping cut

Class 3 rough turn a bowl between centers
Teach them to sharpen bowl gouge with a jig.
Push cuts, scraping cut,
Microwave bowl

Class 4 return dried bowl. Push cuts
Shear scraping with the gouge Some sanding

Class 5 green turn a bowl
Push cut, pull cut, shear scraping

Class 6 Natural edge bowl

Classes 7,8 bowls with individual assistance. Most student turn 10” bowls
If I have a really fast learner- they will turn 3 10” bowls in a class so I give them a 12-13” blank unless they brought their own wood.

Have fun. How long will you class(s) be.
When I taught the beginning bowl class at MD hall in Annapolis it was 8 meetings of 2.5 hours each.

The biggest thing - don’t try to teach them everything at once and don’t teach them things they aren’t going to use in the current class. This is sometimes difficult when you get asked questions. I try to always either answer a question or state when we will get to that in the course. A question that is way off in the weeds- I’ll tell the student to see me after class. Or once in a great while - I don’t know. With multiple classes, I sharpen all the tools in the first classes.

plan a set of exercises
Class 1 - lathe parts, safety, class traditions any lathe running face shields on. Students can’t use the bandsaw.
turn a carving mallet. 3.3x3.5x10 blank usually green wood - tools SRG, 1/2” spindle gouge, parting tool
I have each student do 2 good cuts on the demo lathe then they rough a cylinder.
Then make a parting cut to mark the handle section. They then turn beads all along the handle 1/2 spindle gouge
Smooth the handle SRG. Turn coves on the handle section, smooths the handle with the SRG
Finish turn the mallet
This gets them used to the lathe an simple tools
View attachment 66452

Class 2 rough turn a bowl 8-10 “ disc 3-4” high started on a screw.
Bowl gouge, spindle gouge (tenon), round nose scrape
I teach them to sharpen the scraper on a platform
Push cuts, scraping cut

Class 3 rough turn a bowl between centers
Teach them to sharpen bowl gouge with a jig.
Push cuts, scraping cut,
Microwave bowl

Class 4 return dried bowl. Push cuts
Shear scraping with the gouge Some sanding

Class 5 green turn a bowl
Push cut, pull cut, shear scraping

Class 6 Natural edge bowl

Classes 7,8 bowls with individual assistance. Most student turn 10” bowls
If I have a really fast learner- they will turn 3 10” bowls in a class so I give them a 12-13” blank unless they brought their own wood.
Very good outline! I have taught a few individuals but never gave it much thought on how to lay out a course. I was all over the place as opposed to a systematic approach. Thanks for I will start following your lay out.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thanks, this is helpful. y first class will be 2 hours, then a break ten another 2 hours.
It's only BOWL turning

The one day class is a challenge. Especially if it’s the first many have held a tool.
I’ve done 2 at wood craft. I sharpen the tools. I use an Ellsworth grind.
I started with basic safety, lathe operation. Then a 10 minute spindle exercise with a 3x3x 4-6 mounted between centers.
Putting these on the lathe before class saves time. I put lines on one face 3/8” apart. Have student cut straight in with the bevel line up with each line. Repeated 3/8” cuts from square round.
Then bevel riding cuts from center to left and center to right to get a cylinder then make a curve by staring the cut 1/2, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 fro the end. This how I will teach them to shape bowl. Repeated cut to remove the corner 1 cut on the wide part of the bowl.
Working a few minute on a practice spindle gets them some experience.
They learn to hold the handle against their side,to roll the flute paralell to the floor. Ride bevel, and cut by shifting their weight and rotating the body. (Well they don’t really get it yet but they have done it). Lights begin to go on in a few eyes.

Then put the chuck on with a screw already in the chuck. Mount the bowl blank. This will be about 30 minutes into the class.

I much prefer doing 1 day NE bowl workshops with clubs. The student already have some skills and there are usuall assisted instructors to help any raw beginners.

Back in 2017 my wife and I took a class called Turn a Bowl in One Day. I think the class was 4 or 5 hours. The bowls were small, like 4" and the instructor already had these flat and roughly rounded. We used small face plates, which are easier to do "right" than a chuck (and the screws may have been self tapping? ). But what also made it work was that we used carbide scrapers. There was an introduction to gouges, etc., but with the short learning curve of carbide scrapers everyone was able to successfully make one or two small bowls. By the way, we used mineral oil and wax for the finish, so the pieces could be taken home at the end of class.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Back in 2017 my wife and I took a class called Turn a Bowl in One Day

But what also made it work was that we used carbide scrapers.

This is a great option for anyone experienced with carbides.

I would never teach anything I wasn’t well schooled in myself. I’ve never turned anything with just carbides.

I have never taught the skew in a class - I can use one quite well. I don’t feel I have the knowledge to correct and guide students.
I’m pretty confident with the bowl gouge and can hear most mistakes. I can tweak bevel riding with a light touch on the end of the handle.

David,
Al has given you good advice, from the standpoint of starting with total beginners. Do you know the experience level of the folks who will be in the class? Can you inquire ahead of time? The answers will impact your approach.

Here are some nuts and bolts things to think about, but I'm sure it's not a comprehensive list.
Will you be teaching in your own space or somewhere else? If somewhere else, go there ahead of time and make a bowl, so you learn the surprises and problems you will encounter with the students, and there will be many.

Who provides safety gear? What gear does the facility require or do you require?

What size lathes will you have? What size turners will you have? Will there be a mismatch? Maybe you'll need to have risers for the students or lathes to stand on.

What tools are you going to use? Will the students bring or will you provide? If they are bringing, you're going to spend a lot of time at the beginning dealing with poorly shaped and sharpened gouges. Best to have the gouges sharpened ahead of time. What tools other than a bowl gouge will you teach them to use, if any?

What will you have for a sharpening station? If not at your own shop, will you have a set up with which you are familiar?

What will you use for wood? Will the students bring or will you provide? Will it be green or dry? Will it be raw half logs or squares or cut circles? Circles are faster and beat up the turner less. Smaller blanks will produce a bowl faster and if you need to save time, 4-6" bowls teach all the same lessons as bigger wood. Try to get the wood ready ahead of time.

If cost is an issue, cut pieces of 2X4 or 2X6 lumber can be turned into bowls and nobody cares if they screw up. Our high school students really liked it when we started with lumber before moving on to a bowl they'd care about. Making a practice bowl and then a nice bowl will take longer, though. Have at least 2 blanks per student. Try to have defect free wood. If you're in a hurry, maybe aspen or poplar blanks would be good, as they turn easily and fast.

How will you have them mount the blanks to the lathe? Faceplates are generally safest for beginners, but take more time than other approaches. If faceplates, will there be a drill and safe screws? If using a scroll chuck, it's real helpful to have a method of sizing the tenons to fit the jaws on the chucks. (I use a piece of plywood with a semi-circle cut out for slightly larger than perfect tenon diameter.)

IME, one of the key lessons turners need to learn when starting to turn bowls is to position their feet correctly and move their trunk to make the curve. Newbies are stiff as a wooden soldier and hold the tool like it's a spear. Show them how to dance.

How will you do the bottoms of the bowls? Will you have vacuum chucks where you're teaching? If not, do you know how to use 'jam' chucks or cole jaws or whatever? Maybe prepare jam chucks ahead of time.

Are you going to do sanding during the lesson? It allows the students to make a nicer bowl, but requires time, and beginners sand a lot more than you. Who provides the sandpaper?

Are you going to put finish on the bowls? What kind? Who will provide?

There are two basic approaches to being a woodturning teacher. Neither is wrong. One teaches a basic foundation of knowledge and skills, which may not be exactly how the teacher does things, but it's safe and effective. The other teacher teaches their own specialized approach or idiosyncrasies. I know what I do with beginners--what is your approach going to be?

Finally, it's supposed to be fun. Compliment when someone does the simplest thing correctly. Laugh at the screw ups. Celebrate all those dog bowls. It can be a whole lotta fun for you, too.

Last edited:
Back