• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Supernova2 Chuck Issue

I had an issue with a Supernova2 chuck in that as I tightened or loosened it, the slides would bind up and be very difficult to turn. I took it apart and soon realized the number one slide was hanging up. I cleaned it thoroughly and decided while the chuck was in pieces, to service the other slides as well. Now, none of them slide as they should, rather all get hung up about half way in. I lubricated them with WD-40 and then a dry lubricant - both to no avail.

In working with Teknatool support, they suggested moving the slides to different positions to see if that help. It did not. They then recommended lightly filing the slide guides to free them. Have tried this as well with no luck.

Attached is a photo displaying how far in they go before getting hung up, and also an end view of the number one slide. Of note is that I had the same issue with a different SN2 a year ago and ended up sending it to Teknatool and they made the repair.

Has anyone experienced this same issue and if so, been able to resolve it?

Thanks

Roger
1721819906353.png 1721819948285.png

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Suspect you likely got the gear & slides out of alignment - Never had that issue myself but then I found on youtube some advice before I even tried it on my "Clone" chuck (Chinese made version of a one-way) - you rotate the gear with key and back out the slides fully until they all exit , then strap a good strong rubber band (or several) around the slides to apply even gentle pressure on them all around , then back off the gear until they all "click" in place at the same time (Very subtle click, on mine I just used visuals I could see them all "bump" a tiny bit at the same time) and then reverse direction of the gear which ideally would start drawing the slides in evenly - basically getting them all "in time" with each other and the gear - Might have to try a few times , getting the gear to start in different teeth positions each time. I believe the theory was that as the chuck gets "broken in" and individual slides wear into the gear , then gear being in any other position in relation to the slides might start to bind on one or the other which then jams up the whole chuck.

Thanks Brian, that does make sense. However, these will not slide free with the gear not even in place. They should freely slide in and out when there is no gear inserted. Thoughts?

Roger, you might want to try cleaning the grooves in the chuck body with a solvent and Q-tip. Make sure to clean the complete length and both sides of the grooves

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Had a similar issue recently with one of my Vicmarks that was a victim of lots of very wet wood and insufficient attention from the operator (me). Soft things like toothbrush and q-tip didn't do the job. The gunk was tough enough that I had to use a small file, dental pick, or wire brush. I worked on each slide & its corresponding slot in the body, one at a time (without the gear ring) till they all slid freely. Once I had one pair sliding well, I would try the "clean" slide in another slot (or try a slide in the "clean" slot) to see which needed more attention.

I’ve not had this problem but I would check the Jaws (slides) for any burrs and then clean them with a small brass brush. Whilst you’re doing this I’d leave the chuck body soaking in whatever solvent you have to hand. Thoroughly clean and dry the chuck then lubricate with oil. (my SuperNova 2 had quite a lot of oil in it from new). I’d then try each Jaw separately to see how easily they move. If one Jaw sticks try it in another slot and see what happens. By trial and error you should be able to determine which Jaw/slot is causing the problem. If all else fails you could try buying a new set of Jaws? Before final reassembly make sure the scroll is clean and lubricated as well.

Edit: Sorry Dave, you seem to have already mentioned much of this!

Thanks guys, great suggestions. I've made a little progress since yesterday following Dave's idea and plan to work at it again today. I may do as Bill recommends, soak it in a solvent. Do you have a specific solvent in mind?

I’d use Paraffin (Kerosene?) but petrol might do it. Anything that will loosed any deposits without causing rust to appear. I guess the best though would be a degreaser from an auto supplies shop?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You may have had debri in what I'll call the ring gear the drives these jaws. Good Idea to rotate it and clean it as best you can when you have the jaws out.

The only thing I'm thinking it could have been was the WD-40 with Dry Lubricant over it, built up of a coat that was enough to bog down the slides. Doesn't seem like it would, but I have no other theory's. In addition, the effort I had to go to for the slides and grooves to operate as they should, seemed excessive.

Odie

Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
TOTW Team
I’d use Paraffin (Kerosene?) but petrol might do it. Anything that will loosed any deposits without causing rust to appear. I guess the best though would be a degreaser from an auto supplies shop?
When you use oils and lubricants on your chucks, it attracts dust, and eventually deposits a hardened coating on the mating surfaces. This eventually restricts the movement of these parts, and it can be very difficult to remove these deposits.

Since you're already plagued with hardened crud inside your chuck, you'll have no choice but to disassemble the chuck for cleaning. You might want to try using some inexpensive, but strong automotive "brake parts cleaner" and a fine wire brush to get rid of these deposits.

1722233863867.png
My Supernovas are lubricated exclusively by copious dust. It's not labor intensive, and they've work flawlessly for 10 years.
I used to use lubricants on my chucks, but any lubricant at all just attracts dust and deposits a hardened sludge that eventually ends up gumming up the mechanism to the point that it forces you to disassemble and clean your chuck.

Believe it, or not......for the past decade or so, I've not used any lubricant at all.....I've kept all my chucks completely dry. Since that time, I've never had to disassemble a chuck again!

Also, after each use, I use a blast of compressed air on my chucks to get rid of any dust deposits, and since there is no oil or other lubricants, the blast of air successfully removes any loose dust.

-o-

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have maintained my stronghold with copious amounts of neglect for about 27 years
My vicmarc has had just 8 years of neglect.
I’ve never disassembled them

I did have a couple of the the jaw slides out of the strong when a student shear of the open limit pin ans sent two jaws onto the floor.
Put them back in

After this experience, I have no plans to remove my jaws unless I have a similar situation at some point if the future, and agree there's no need to lubricate the chuck going forward.

I use both metalworking and wood turning chucks. Most MW chuck manufacturers recommend a specific oil for lubricantion. MW chucks are designed for precision work and from my experience made to a higher standard. Lubrication helps prevent undue wear, maintaining accuracy.
Wood turning doesn’t generally require the same kind of accuracy. Even so, all my chucks, Supernova 2, Record Power SC2 and Axminster came lubricated with oil. Nova recommend a “generous amount of lubricant”. I’m not sure they specify a particular lubricant, but on my chuck it was a heavy oil. I’ve had no issues with the chuck so far.

IMG_1529.jpeg

I think the point is that people have been using their chucks without lubrication for years with no issues.
Apart from wear? I wonder how many turners have happily been using their chucks with the lubrication that was applied when it was new. I haven’t seen very many posts of folks needing to take them apart. I doubt if many of my wood turning friends even have the circlip pliers needed to do so. It’s certainly not a topic that’s come up at my woodturning club over the past ten years that I can remember.

Of my 20+ Nova chucks none have never needed lubrication the only upkeep I use is a small blast of air before returning them to the cupboard. And that goes for all the other brands I have also.

Of my 20+ Nova chucks none have never needed lubrication the only upkeep I use is a small blast of air before returning them to the cupboard. And that goes for all the other brands I have also.
Just out of interest, did you take all of these 20+ Nova chucks apart and wash out the lubricant with a solvent before re-assembly?

Bill, I help the editor of our club Newsletter with content when I can. If you get a chance, would you be able to post a picture of your chuck collection? I’m sure many members of the club will be fascinated to see them.

Well I am one who cleans my chucks. As noted you can "get by" with doing nothing, however I like my chucks to work smoothly and don’t want to have the same problem as Roger. I had previously used dry lube, but have switched to Rem Oil (Remington gun oil) I saw using on the internet. I think the dry lube builds up where the Rem Oil just leaves a film that helps with corrosion and wet wood.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, did you take all of these 20+ Nova chucks apart and wash out the lubricant with a solvent before re-assembly?
I have only taken one chuck apart and that was to replace a pinion (on a supernova where you stick the T handle to tighten and loosen) because of the ball end of the T handle. That led me to cutting off the ball on every T handle (and I have not had that problem since. Here is a photo of a lot of my chucks.

Attachments

• Chucks.JPG
    Chucks.JPG
    610.6 KB · Views: 39
Back