• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stuart Batty Tools?

I saw that SB Tools was going to be a vendor at the AAW annual symposium. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to go. Can anybody tell me whether Stu had tools displayed, and whether he is now selling them? Like, for example, his tool rest for grinders?

This has happened a few times with different iterations of that outfit unfortunately. In Saratoga last year we were told a website and items were coming out within x timeframe. Hands down the best grinding platform system around, but can’t seem to consistently get things produced or roadblocks keep coming up, such is business. Still parts and pieces and tools that can be used in that system kicking around if you know where to look

Some interesting ideas there if they come to fruition, like the laminated range he is bringing out. Same principle as laminated Japanese blades. That should allow him to push the Rockwell hardness higher without the risk of breakage. It may also reduce the cost, but that is yet to be seen.

I'm also interested to see his 'plan' to bring out a "15V replaceable tip gouge". If that comes to fruition it should be a winner for him as there is no other 'active' maker of a 15V option. My testing shows that 15V outperforms the other available HSS options with its edge durability on more demanding woods. A replaceable tip is also good concept, IMO.

Back