• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Step pulley

I'm having a hard time finding a step pulley or sheave for my old Power King lathe. The bearings finally went and to true forum I had to destroy something to make a $30.00 fix go higher. I can find enough options for single V's, but nothing in a step so I have some speed control. The big problem is it is a 1" I.D. not a 1/2 or 5/8. Any ideas? :confused: Thanks Joel

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
They aren't cheap, but they are real good.

http://www.martinsprocket.com/
I don't know if they have what you need, but they are pretty good and were happy to help me out with the "sheave" problem I had.

They have a line that has the adaptes the are tapered and bolt onto the sheave (Pulley). What I don't know is if they have different size on the same sheave. In my case, I needed three of the same so that I could fix an alignment problem.

jmr2001 said:
I'm having a hard time finding a step pulley or sheave for my old Power King lathe. The bearings finally went and to true forum I had to destroy something to make a $30.00 fix go higher. I can find enough options for single V's, but nothing in a step so I have some speed control. The big problem is it is a 1" I.D. not a 1/2 or 5/8. Any ideas? :confused: Thanks Joel

Joel,

There is a guy on ebay selling a new machines atlas / craftsman pulley. He's willing to enlarge the hole for an extra change (I have no idea how much). Not sure if this will work for you, but ....

I eyed this item a few times as I also find myself needing one (but with an ID of 5/8") as I stumble though the process rebuilding an old craftsman lathe

--eric

I use the local outlet of Motion Industries for all of my bearing and pulley needs. I know they have a website but never use it as I just run in my local store and they get me whatever I need no matter how unusual. They also have very reasonable prices. Try a google for Motion Industries and you should find their website.

Wilford

Found one

Thanks for the ideas. I went with a single pulley as that one I did not have to be ordered (plus much cheaper). Should have just bought a new lathe like I wanted to do. Thats another message later. Thanks again. Joel

Back