• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steady Rest

Ira

I would like to make my own steady rest, I know I've seen plans before but cannot find them on the web. Does any one know where I can look? Thanks again!
Ira

I made one based on Dominic Greco's version ( Dr. Dewey's link) I bandsawed two pieces of 3/4" Birch Plywood for the frame, and recycled one of my kids old rollerblades for the wheels. So far I've only used it for drilling peppermills, but it works pretty good. Dominic said he built his a couple of hours, but It took me most of the day. Good luck.

Ira

Thank you Bruce!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I knew I had seen it before but just could not find it. One last question, do you think MDF would be strong enough? I'm short on 3/4" ply but I have a ton of MDF laying around. Thanks again!
Ira

I'm no expert, but I believe MDF is too brittle for the job--Others might disagree. As my mother used to say, "Any job worth doing, is worth doing right." Why take a chance. You'd probably be better off running over to Home Depot and getting some Plywood. Don't know your lathe size, but 1/4 of a sheet ought to do it. Good luck on your project.

Bruce McElhaney

Ira

Yes I suppose you're Mom is right. I will probably shoot down to the lumber yard tomorrow, better safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Many happy turns!
Ira

Back