• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steady Rest

I'm going to build a steady rest for my new lathe, looking for suggestions. I'm going to build a metal steady rest similar to the Jeff Nicol or Robust style, I've studied the threads on building one. I would make the base plate from 1/2" thick steel and looking to use one of the rolled duct rings from mcmaster carr. The duct ring is 3/16" thick, is this heavy enough or should I buy a piece of 1/4" thick angle and have it rolled? Also, I would like to duplicate the Robust style arms, how thick of steel should I use for that.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Vincent, Brent from Robust here. A 3/16 thick duct ring from McMaster Carr should be fine. We use 3/16" rolled angle iron for our rings and 5/16" steel for our arms. Your 1/2" base is more than enough. Good luck with your build !
Thank you for the information Brent. I will post a picture when done probably will take several weeks to gather everything and build it.

Be aware that you have to pick this thing up to install it on the lathe. I have one a retired Dr. Built out of 1/2" steel. It weighs 87lbs. It's all I can do to put it on the lathe.
Thanks John, I saw a picture of yours when I did a search on this site for steadyrests. I'm not planning on building one as heavy as yours but I will probably put some sort of lift assist device in the ceiling.

Vincent,
I have a whole box of Rollerblade wheels, axles, etcetera if you need some. (😬 - now I better go find it 🤣)
Thanks for the offer Pat, but I already ordered wheels and an arm from Robust. I'm building one similar to the Robust and I'm going to put a pulley in the ceiling above the lathe to lift things like steady, tailstock, and heavy wood blanks.

I built the Nichols steady rest for my 18-36 laguna lathe. You are right on using 1/2” steel for the base. The plan I had called for 1/4” and I ended up doubling it. The other thing was I had a resonance at a speed. It may have been the Laguna lathe. I welded some gussets around it and that fixed it. When I got my Robust I just raised the base up to use with the Robust. Also as John pointed out, metal steady rest are heavy. I don’t think mine is 87 pounds, but I have a hoist over the lathe to pick it up. I ended up buying the flange ring from a company in Illinois cheaper than MC.

I built the Nichols steady rest for my 18-36 laguna lathe. You are right on using 1/2” steel for the base. The plan I had called for 1/4” and I ended up doubling it. The other thing was I had a resonance at a speed. It may have been the Laguna lathe. I welded some gussets around it and that fixed it. When I got my Robust I just raised the base up to use with the Robust. Also as John pointed out, metal steady rest are heavy. I don’t think mine is 87 pounds, but I have a hoist over the lathe to pick it up. I ended up buying the flange ring from a company in Illinois cheaper than MC.
Thanks William, I saw one of your posts when I was researching this project and that's one reason for the 1/2" plate, the other reason is that's what I had laying in the shop. I got the ring and hardware from MC. I'll post a picture and weigh it when done. It's still probably going to be a couple weeks out because a friend is going to cut the slots in the arm steel with his milling machine. I've only used two home built wood ones so far and just decided to build a metal one this time.

Thanks for the offer Pat, but I already ordered wheels and an arm from Robust. I'm building one similar to the Robust and I'm going to put a pulley in the ceiling above the lathe to lift things like steady, tailstock, and heavy wood blanks.
IMG_0511[1].JPG I put a Unistrut rail with slide above the lathe. Convenient to pick up heavy blanks from the floor and then slide over onto the lathe. This setup will handle about 350lbs. With additional bracing it would handle much more.

View attachment 66298 I put a Unistrut rail with slide above the lathe. Convenient to pick up heavy blanks from the floor and then slide over onto the lathe. This setup will handle about 350lbs. With additional bracing it would handle much more.
I like your setup Darryn, what size unistrut did you use and what about wheels to make your chainblock travel. Thats plenty strong for what I want.

I like your setup Darryn, what size unistrut did you use and what about wheels to make your chainblock travel. Thats plenty strong for what I want.
Standard 1 5/8" square unistrut. The unistrut wheel trolley is a six-wheel rated at 690#. I already had a 2 ton chain hoist so it is overkill. I found a chart somewhere that stated what weight unistrut will bear without a big deflection, depending on how far apart the bracing is placed. For my application the unistrut will deflect noticeably at about 400# so I decided my limit is 350#.

Be careful about what you are attaching the rail to. I have some barn door track attached with Timberlock screws to my 2nd floor joists and can pick up my Oneway with it and a chain hoist, but beware tying into trusses unless you have an engineer look at the structure. I recently got hold of a wheeled 100kg material lift which I find more handy than the overhead setup.

Be careful about what you are attaching the rail to. I have some barn door track attached with Timberlock screws to my 2nd floor joists and can pick up my Oneway with it and a chain hoist, but beware tying into trusses unless you have an engineer look at the structure. I recently got hold of a wheeled 100kg material lift which I find more handy than the overhead setup.
Yes, my setup sits on the top plate for the walls, not attached to any trusses. I have looked at using an engine hoist or something similar. I don't have any spare floor space in my very small shop.

Back