• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spowl Gouge?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Very much like my Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge with a V flute. Don't know if Doug makes a 5/8 or 3/4 with a V I'll have to look.

Hmm, don't think I will get one. I just don't use the swept back type gouges at all any more. 40/40 and BOB gouges only. Some times detail gouges on spindles.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
An interesting point is that the top of the gouge has been ground flat.
Grinding away the top of the bar is an attribute of a spindle gouge.
Leaving the flat shows the difference in the bar diameter from the flute diameter.

He said he had a 22 mm bar that is 7/8 - typical diameter of a 3/4” bowls gouge.

He shows having a 3/8” gouge nose on a 7/8” bar

Lots of comparisons.
3/8” gouge tend to cut cleaner than 1/2”
7/8” bars vibrate less than 5/8” bars and less than 1/2” bars
3/8” gouges take smaller shavings than 1/2” gouges.

IMG_1792.jpeg

For me it would be a solution looking for a problem, but it may meet a need in others like it has for him.

What I applaud is that he has experimented with making his own gouges to meet his needs and this is how experienced woodturners have collectively improved our tools over the last 50yrs or so that I have been turning.

Woodturners will endlessly play around with gouge grinds, but seem quite adverse to venturing into making or altering the flute profile on their gouges. It is not difficult to do and I have posted about that on the forum...

If you are looking for rigidity rather than weight in your gouges then short flutes provide that. For myself I don't want all that extra weight in the gouges that he has shown in his video. At my age I get tired enough after a session in the workshop without adding a gym workout at the same time!

Also, with CBN wheels that take off so little steel when resharpening a gouge we don't need the long flutes to get a useful life from a gouge that is made from a full length piece of HSS. With CBN and short flutes they are going to last a long time before they need to be replaced and if you have a batch of DIY gouge tips in your tool rack for different purposes you are unlikely to get to the point where you will have to be replacing or extending many of them.

Of course, this is not something for the novice turner who doesn't yet know what they don't know, but something that experienced turners could do if they are inclined that way and who knows what new and significant improvement may come out of our experimentation.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Of course, this is not something for the novice turner who doesn't yet know what they don't know, but something that experienced turners could do if they are inclined that way and who knows what new and significant improvement may come out of our experimentation.
My turning experience is with automatic lathes, now with CNC, in the past with pattern copying lathes or with lathes using cutters made in the shape of the part. I imagine shaped cutters are still the most widely used in production turning in the furniture industry. Shaped cutters seemed to have somewhat fallen out of favor due to the cutter expense and difficulty to manufacture because of the versatility of CNC even though it's slower.

The ultimate woodturning cutters were developed decades ago. The same cutter can be used in bowl turning as for spindles and they cut as well against the grain as with it. The necessity of these cutters were to produce parts needing very little sanding. In the past these cutters were ground from HSS, now they are available as carbide inserts. Ornament turners use these type cutters where the cutter is pattern guided with no sanding. The issue for hand turners is the difficulty in controlling these cutters because of their free cutting and tendency to self feed causing catches. Hooded, depth limiting methods have been tried. Hunter carbide tools tilt the insert a bit to downplay the cutter's aggressiveness.

It's fascinating to me that a whole industry has sprung up involving sharpening systems, specialty gouges for different uses, exotic tool steels, CBN wheels not to mention those individuals who make a good part of their income teaching usage of traditional, primitive gouges.

My observations:

1- if I were to personify the wood fibers, they'd likely say that they don't give a hoot about any aspect of the woodturning industry we support and encourage except for 2 things: the inclusive angle of the flute/bevel, and the quality of the two-demensional line where the interior flute and exterior bevel meet. That's a patch of steel about 1/8" square to not more than 1/4" square. Everything else, everything, is there to satisfy the human being in some subjective way. Brand, alloy, size, overall shape... pretty much meaningless after the inclusive angle is set and the 2 plains meet at a keen edge. Turners cranking out a hundred bowls per day with sharpened scrap leaf springs prove this every day.

2- this fellow has WAY too many tools. Show-off. Early on, he reached 7' above the floor for a caliper. Now that he has his dream tools, everything else should immediately be donated to local trade schools.

3- he's launching wood waste all over his tool wall storage system. That must be a bear to keep clean, unless Bill Murray in "Caddyshack" is his inspiration.

4- I sure hope he never stumbles backward into his unprotected roughing gouge collection. That would be most unfortunate.

Looks like a solution looking for a problem. But he clearly felt there was a problem that needed solving. He obviously likes collecting tools and presumably saw this as a fun project. I know if I buy one more tool I’ll become an expert but in the meantime I’ll try to use those I have, better!

My observations:

2- this fellow has WAY too many tools. Show-off. Early on, he reached 7' above the floor for a caliper. Now that he has his dream tools, everything else should immediately be donated to local trade schools.
Glen makes and sells his own tools. I suspect when he has an idea for a new tool he makes one.
I also have lots of home made tools. If one doesn’t seem to work any better than anything else I don’t throw it away it just goes on the shelf. Unlike Glen though I don’t make handles for all my tools, I use interchangeable handles.

Glens website just for interest, he doesn’t ship outside the UK.

Looks interesting, I agree with the idea its a solution looking for an issue. But if it works for you, thats fine, and I think its a case of horse for courses.
Alternately, I can achieve great stiffness with a harden shaft and a Woodcut type tip, so the diameter would be as a conventional gouge along with the weight . But to adding to that, if you buy a tip off Woodcut NZ and fit it into a same dia bar made of 316 stainless steel, you should have a very stiff tool. How stiff? Well, good enough to turn a hollow vessel in most Aussie hardwoods. Half of my hollowing tools have 316 shafts the size range would be 16mm, 19 and 20mm

It's fascinating to me that a whole industry has sprung up involving sharpening systems, specialty gouges for different uses, exotic tool steels, CBN wheels not to mention those individuals who make a good part of their income teaching usage of traditional, primitive gouges.

Yes, Doug, and that's because it's more fun to do than machine turning!

Back