• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Specs on Vicmarc chucks?

Both of their chucks have different jaws (as do all the other chucks) so you can grip different sizes of tenons or recesses. The big chuck has jaws that are 2 5/8 inches across. I just got another set of jaws that are standard at about 4 inches.
robo hippy

Website
www.abhats.com
I started turning with Technitool and have four of their chucks and just about all their jaw sets. I ran into a problem when I found the 'Cole' jaws were not large enough for what I was doing. After checking out all the chucks and accessories out there, I picked up a Vicmarc VM120 with the 14" and 18" bowl jaws. The plus of Vicmarc is the almost perfect engineering and machining, and no one has bowl jaws this large! The plus of Technitool is that all jaws (save the Titan large set) fit all chucks. All Vicmarc jaws do not fit all their chucks, but besides that, I really prefer the lighter weight of the Technitool line for blanks under 80 lbs.

KEW

Thanks!
I had found their site, but somehow missed that chart.
Thanks for the other information as well. I've decided to try a Vic and am not sure if i want the 3.5" or the 5.5".
I have a PM3520B, but at least 90% of what I do will be under 14". Is the 3.5" a good chuck for 14"?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Kurt I have turned bowls up to 19" with the small Vicmarc. It's solid as a rock. I have 3 of them. Vicmarc has a large number of different jaw sizes but not all of them are carried in the US. If I was going to turn longer hollow forms I would buy the larger chuck but for what I do the smaller one has proven to be quite fine.

KEW

John,

Sounds like the 3.5 is best suited for me (which is what I suspected).

Just curious, what size of hollow forms do you turn using the 3.5" Vicmarc. I need to know what type of project I need to plan to justify the 5.5" down the road!:D

Thanks,
Kurt

I started out with the 5 1/2" Vic but now have the VM90, VM100 (3 1/2") and a VM120 (5 1/2"). I use the 3 1/2" for boxes and bowls from 10" and under. I like the 3 1/2" chuck for boxes as you don't need a large chuck for that. It also gives you more working room around the headstock end. The same is true when working on little 4" or 5" bowls.

I use the VM120 for bowls from 11" up to 22"-23". I don't do large hollow forms, but the 22"-23" bowl blanks are fairly deep and quiet heavy. I have no problem with them and I put the stress of coring on it. But, I am still saving up for the VM160 for the really big bowls.

The jaw sets I use the most are the Shark type. I have a set for the 3 1/2" and 3 or 4 (different sizes and can't remember how many) for the 5 1/2". I was at a turning symposium last fall, and a dealer had all of the jaw sets that Vic makes. So it looks like you can get whatever is on the Vic web site.

KEW

FT,

Is this recent? Who was the dealer? I was thinking CSU and Packard were the only places to buy Vicmarc in the US!

I own 2 of the VM100 3.5" chucks and they are very nice to work with. I purchased them both from Craft Supplies along with a few other sets of jaws.

Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas is a Vicmarc Dealer. Their Web site is not running yet but you can call and have them send you their catalog. I listed their info below.

Christian Brisepierre
Woodworker's Emporium
5461 S Arville St
Las Vegas, NV 89118
800-779-7458

Mark

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Kurt I've turned up to 12" hollow vessels with the VM100. Anything longer and I go to faceplates. They simply reduce vibration and chatter much more.

Kurt,
I was the Woodworker's Emporium and I saw them in October in Witchita Falls, Texas at a symposium. They are located in Las Vegas. They had a large display with all the Vicmarc jaws and chucks. They had a VM160 there, which is the latest and largest chuck from Vic. They also had several Vic lathes and Christian was demoing the Vic oval turning device on one of them.

Their webiste is still not working, but you can reach Christian at 1-800-779-7458 for more info or ask them to send you a catalog and price list of what they carry in the Vicmarc line.

Back