• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Source for nylon rod

Need to make some nylon bushings for turning reel inserts. I plan on putting the predrilled insert on the bushing and turning to OD. The ID of the insert will be about 0.625 inch; insert length will be about 4 inches. My mandrel sizes are 1/4 and 5/16. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks. Not available in any of the box stores or hardware stores. Larry, good idea; thanks.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Amazon also has nylon rod. Also UMHW if that will work for you. It's nearly impossible to glue and is super slippery.

This place has acetal/derlin rod also.
http://www.eplastics.com/Acetal_Delrin_Rod
If you click on the buy now, the second page gives prices for cutting it to length for you which may be worthwhile. They may have the OD you will need to keep from turning the outside.
They also list pipe/tube but nothing with an ID of 5/8 as you stated.

If it's a bearing:
Nylon can be a great choice. It's tough got a low coefficient of friction and tolerates moderate heat. I think the reason we see so many bearings from nylon is it's cheap and flexible. There are better choices though.

Delrin is nice for low load low speed because it's cheap easy to machine and pretty tough.

If it's a high pressure bearing or expected to last a long time, I'd consider Rulon LR. Rulon uses PTFE as a precursor. If it is really heavy loads look for Rulon 142. If it's food safe you want, try Rulon 641. If the bearing is going to impinge on a gummy material like Aluminum then Rulon J is good. I've made a lot of bearings from Rulon when I was in the aerospace R&D business.

UHMWPE is a great light duty bearing material too; Machines like Buttah'

Nylon is often most often used as a bearing material when molded. Nylon 6 has graphite in it.

Refer to my first post for the purpose of the plastic material. I just might use masking tape to make the spacer. Rodbuilding uses a ton of masking tape. Almost as useful as duct/duck tape.

Back