• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sometimes it's the little things on this website that help!

I read a thread the other day and someone posted about the psi they had their air blow gun set at.

I never think of it when I'm in the shop but today I thought of that and turned mine up as well. Because I turn a lot of walnut and get lots of sanding dust in the grain this made a big difference.

My pressure was about 45psi because I had been running a sander in the past but lately I haven't so I turned it up to 120 too.

It's not like I didn't know that concept, just that reading the site put it in my mind so I remembered to turn it up. As far as safety I'm usually still wearing my face shield from turning while sanding because it's just second nature to have it on. Kind of like ear plugs and safety glasses from the factory days.

Does anyone else have any simple things that the site helps with?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My pressure was about 45psi because I had been running a sander in the past but lately I haven't so I turned it up to 120 too.

I learned 120 psi can blow a hole in thin walnut hollow from around 1996 then in 2007 I learned this from another turner for the first time. I had shared my experience with club members.

I have separate air pressure regulators on my sandblast and airbrush. I run 120 at the compressor and have 90 at the sand blast pressure pot and 35-40 for the airbrush. These can be changed to anything but are ready to go at the last setting.
Regulators can be found from under $20 on up.
My last regulator purchase was 2015 for the airbrush and had water trap too for about $15. Still working so it can last at least 8 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this Sam. I absolutely agree. I have been cursing my sluggish banjo and tailstock for the last while, procrastinating from doing anything. Thinking I needed to do some adjustment or something. Then I read a recent post about lathe bed lubrication. It took me a total of about 3 minutes to get a rag and paste wax from the cupboard and do a quick polishing of the bed. Now everything slides around like it was new! I just needed that little reminder.

For dust on turnings try a microfiber towel vs blowing dust around the shop. When the towel gets dusty I turn on the dc (usually on when sanding anyway) and hold the towel in the inlet, letting it flap to release the the dust. Sometimes use the shop vac with a brush to remove dust.

Back