• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shop made router fluting jig

I made a jig based on John's some maybe 10 years ago and it worked well for fluting bed posts.
IMG_2800.JPG

img_2773-jpg.44231

IMG_2782.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 195
Pics of mine. Had all the stuff around the shop.

HF trim router, and std template guides ( change guide dia depending on bit). The bottom of the guide rides on the wood.

Made a new router base bottom (the base screws together) out of plastic sheet that could fit the guides.

The std router depth adj works to adjust cut depth.

The router base can be removed and the wood base front used against a template if desired.

Use a piece of melamine shelf board mounted in the tool rest post hole.

1650654236558.jpeg

1650654326415.jpeg

1650654435978.jpeg

Here's some flutes with a varying radius down the part. Most older furniture uses this style of flute done on complicated Rube Goldberg type machines. They traced a pattern as the part rotated. For one-offs they may have been hand carved since setting up the automated fluting machines was too time consuming.

The variable radius flute to my knowledge can't be done on any of the common fluting designs I've seen. It can be done with an ornamental turning lathe, not so simple there either though. I did some fluting like this when I was into ornamental turning. When you realize how simplistic it is on a CNC the OT route becomes way too tedious.

CNC, with a slight spiral, again needing little if any sanding.

flutes-SharpenAI-Motion.jpg

Back