• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Seeking tips on Dust collector filters and CBN wheels

I am new to woodturning and have, so far, restricted myself to carbide tools.

I expect to start working with gouges at some point, and am looking for advice on CBN wheels and hones.

There must be a sweet spot when it comes to neither buying lower quality tools nor paying a higher price than necessary for comparable good quality tools.

I have an 8” grinder and am looking for both decent quality CBN wheels. One of my questions is that what two grits would be best for both some shaping (or example rounding the edges of some skews and perhaps modifying some angles as I get a feel for things.)

What are reasonable prices to pay for the wheels, and which suppliers are trustworthy in terms of quality.

Secondly, I have been fortunate enough to be given a 2 hp Central Machinery Industrial Dust collector. This is great, however, I believe the bag only filters down to 5 microns, and I’d prefer something better,

Grizzly filters have been suggested. Their H5783 - Extra Canister For G0548/Z & G0562/Z https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...MIjpG10Z38hQMVy6JaBR2F0gx5EAQYBCABEgJiZ_D_BwE

.​

seems to fit the bill. I measured the Dust collector to have a diameter of 19.5 “ and the grizzly filter claims a diameter of 19.625”. I’m thing that either my own measurement was a touch off, or, in any event, that the grizzly can work within that tolerance anyway. But I’d appreciate other peoples’ feedback on this as well.​

Thank you​

Jim Benson

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
expect to start working with gouges at some point, and am looking for advice on CBN wheels and hones.

If you haven’t already done so connect with the local clubs in your area.
They often have class and mentor opportunities
You can learn a lot about what to look for by using grinders in a class.
Classes will often have a suggested tool set. Teachers or mentors may let you try their tools.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I use only a 180 grit CBN. On the very rare occasions I need to do major reshaping of a tool I get out the coarse abrasive wheel that came with the grinder. Save the money from the second wheel to outfit your grinder with the Wolverine or similar platform and gouge jig. I use a diamond hone for a fine edge on all of my tools, many fewer stops to go to the grinder.

At this point I have two 180 grit wheels so I don't have to disrupt my gouge jig in order to use the platform, but I got by with one for many years.

The Wynn filters have about twice the filter area of many other options. I've been very happy with the one I have.

I use an 80-grit CBN for shaping and a 180-grit CBN for sharpening. Bought them from Woodturners Wonders 10+ years ago.

Some of the modern pleated paper filters go down to 0.5 microns. I have an Oneida system, which is one of the best. I know there are after market paper filters out there though. As for CBN wheels, I go with 180 and 600. The 180 will do 90% plus of all the grinding you need to do. The 600 is nice for when you have some punky/soft wood that you are cutting since that finer edge leaves a cleaner surface. Some times it helps, some times not so much since every piece of wood is different, even pieces from the same tree. My preference for grinders are the 1 hp Rikon or the Baldor. Many prefer the 1/2 hp Rikon because of cost. To me, they take too long to come up to speed and stop after you turn them off. Many will give the wheel a spin before turning it on. I have mostly D Way wheels. I don't really think there is a lot of quality difference between them. D Way has been around a lot longer, and the owners are friends of mine. For gouges, I prefer the D Way or Thompson. Some will say that learn with the cheaper M2 high speed tools, then when you know how to sharpen, buy the better tools. I say why wait? There is a huge quality difference! As Al said, contact the closest club. Huge resource, and you may be able to find used tools..... I do have a bunch of videos up on You Tube, mostly about bowl turning.

robo hippy

I have a cyclone and vent outside, no filters. As far as CBN wheels I would only buy one, 180 grit. Then have AO wheel for reshaping. I have the 180 and 80 CBN wheels. I could easily get by with the 180.

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Some thoughts on dust collection. I have the same Central Machinery (Har Fr) collector as a base. When I bought it new, it needed some tightening and sealing to work better. Then I purchased the Wynn Filter (linked above), built a separator below the filter, purchased an external separator and have purchased but not yet installed an improved impeller, and use an X-10 remote control system. I also have two ceiling mounted Jet filters.

My shop is an air conditioned 3 car garage.

The dust collection works great. i am very happy with it's collection ability and there is a noticeable difference of the amount of dust on everything if I only use either the ceiling mounted or the at lathe collector.

My only hesitation recommending this setup is I've spent enough improving the collector that with hindsight I could have bought a better system up front. No problem with starting with what you have and improving as you go. But if starting at $1,000 - 2,500 is an option there are better alternatives (See Oneida & Clearvue).

As to CBN Wheels. The best prices I've seen is Woodturner's Wonders. The original owner was a member of our Turning club and a great guy. I have a few of his wheels, have bought a few used ones (with no issue to use over age) and am member of a few clubs that use them and have never heard a bad word as to quality. I haven't used any of the more expensive wheels so would love to hear quality comparisons from anyone who have used both.

Last edited:
Back