• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sears Wood Lathe

I have purchased a Sears wood lathe (single pipe style). It came with a duplicator. I am trying to find information on getting a lower cost chuck to fit the lathe. I think the thread is 3/4". I am new to wood turning and would like to try turning bowls. I have a face plate for the outside of the bowl but think I need a chusk to turn the inside. Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce:eek:

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Bruce,

Congrats on the new lathe. Hope you enjoy using it. Is this your first foray into turning? Be sure to holler here if you need help. Also, look in the club listings here to see if there is an AAW turning club near you. Hands on help is a wonderful way to cut the learning curve down to size.

For a small chuck, you need to know the thread size of the spindle on your lathe. The manual shoud say. It will be given in terms of the diameter and the thread count. For example, 1x8 would mean 1 inch diameter and 8 tpi or Threads per inch. Then either go to a nearby store with turning supplies, or use a mailorder shop like Craft Supply USA or Packard Woodworking or Woodcraft to order a chuck that will fit that spindle.

I suggest a chuck with interchangeable spindle inserts. Some chucks have the threads for mounting on the spindle built into the device. Other chucks have no threads and instead accept a spindle insert that has the threads on it. That way if you eventually upgrade your lathe to a larger unit (most of us do at some point in our turning careers) then you do not have to go out and buy a whole new chuck to fit your bigger lathe. You just pull the old insert out and replace it with one that fits your new spindle size. This versatility might allow you to buy a higher end chuck knowing that it will last you through many lathe upgrades.

I just recently bought a small Jet Mini lathe to use as a traveling lathe for demos and classes. (I hauled a big 450 lb Jet 1640 to a demo once. Not eager to do that again!!!!!) Anyway.....I bought a small Nova (technatool) G3 chuck with a 1x8 insert to fit it. Technatool has a decent reputation but for this partricular unit I was disappointed in the quality control. I should have just returned it to Woodcraft Honolulu but I had it in hand and fixed the issues, which were many, and now it works fine. I did let Woodcraft know what I found wrong with the unit by the way. Anyway....I like the size of the G3 in relation to the Jet mini, and assuming you did not experience the quality control issues I saw it would be a good unit and reasonably priced. Like most good chucks on the market these days it has replaceable jaws for different purposes. My other chucks are all Oneway Strongholds, pretty massive for a small lathe but perfect on my 1640, and they have all been nicely built. No problems. I have never used the smaller Oneway Talon chuck, but it looks very nice. You will also see Axeminster listed in our US catalogs and they are excellent units as well.

A question for the rest of you out there using small lathes????? What are your favorite chucks?

Now....a question for you. I assume you bought the Sears lathe because it was a small lathe and was probably an inexpensive way to get started and see if you liked turning? If that is the case and you envision stepping up to bigger and better lathes some day you might be able to save some money by using alternate ways of holding your work. Jam chucks and face plates and pin chucks and what not all work very well and cost alot less (or nothing at all) compared to a good 4 jaw chuck from Oneway for example. Using some of these alternate methods might cover your needs until you are ready to move up. In the meantime, put the money you saved on chucks into a piggy bank towards the big lathe later on? Just a thought.

Hope you have a blast with your lathe! You will probably find it as addictive and satisfying as the rest of us have!!!

Dave

I have several of the Oneway Talon chucks as well as the Stronghold. With the lathe you described, IMHO the talon with jaws 1,2,and 3 would fit almost all of your needs. If you need to reverse the work, create a jam chuck as dave suggested (Dave was most helpful to me when I started turning).
The tool costs can add up in a hurry and I found when I first started, I purchased many tools that looked good in the catalog that now are just sitting on the shelf.
Might I also suggest renting via mail many of the video available from Smartflix.com. All rent for about $10. and will give you many ideas for turning and the use of the various tools (save the skew videos for much later:D). The members' photos that are posted are a great way to help in the design of your work. Be sure to read the comments left by others.
The absolute best method for learning is to join a local chapter of the AAW. The knowledge the members have is incredible and all are happy to share it. They also remember what it was like to be a noobee.

Good luck to you and be aware, its addictive.

I have purchased a Sears wood lathe (single pipe style). It came with a duplicator. I am trying to find information on getting a lower cost chuck to fit the lathe. I think the thread is 3/4". I am new to wood turning and would like to try turning bowls. I have a face plate for the outside of the bowl but think I need a chusk to turn the inside. Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce:eek:

The sears montube lathe that I have uses a 3/4" x 16 threaded headstock and accepts #1 morse taper accesssories (drive spurs, etc.).

You could buy 3/4" x 16 threaded nuts from several sources to use to make glue blocks for mounting wood blanks to your headstock.

Grizzley has chucks that fit the Sears lathe. The chuck come with the appropriate insert but you can also change out the insert if you decide to upgrade (?) to a different lathe at a later time.

bernie f.

Update

Thanks for the information. 3/4 X 16 sounds about right. I have joined the Redwood turners but get intimidated some what by the experienced turners. I am going to take an adult woodworking class and they have several lathes. The club has books and videos to rent. I am a librarian so I can order anything in the system pertaining to lathes. I have bought a pen turning arbor from Wood Crafts. I will be reading posts often.

Thanks. Bruce

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
...I have joined the Redwood turners but get intimidated some what by the experienced turners....

This is very common. Talk to their president and see if they have a mentoring program to get you more comfortable, more quickly. In addition, you will need to learn to sharpen as well.

Cheap Chuck

Bruce,
Consider the Grizzly chuck at $99.95. Mine was 10 or 20 less than that a few years ago when I bought it for a single tube Craftsman (3/4-16 insert). Mine doesn't center perfectly, but is pretty close and I rarely make parts for the space shuttle so it is ok. Especially at $75 to $175 less than the "good" stuff. In fact I just ordered another one today, plus one extra jaw set. After getting another lathe, had to "special order" (phone conversation with live person, who said "Sure we can get you one of those") a new insert not listed in the catalog. It arrived eventually, and fits fine.

Also is a place that makes welded faceplates (nut, welded to flat plate) at very modest prices. Lost track of them, but surely somebody out there knows who they are. Hope this is helpful. Made some of my best pieces on the single-tube Craftsman.

Re: Craftsman monotube lathe

Ditto on some fine work done on that lathe.
First thing I bought for mine was the Oneway Stronghold chuck. Was much more than I needed, and cost more than the used lathe. But I had in mind the eventual upgrade in lathe size and it worked well when I did. I also own the Oneway Talon and think it would be a good size on that lathe.

Many users report good results with the lower priced chucks. So its quality vs. price in most cases. I've broken and thrown things off my lathes, so like quality in the chucks.

On the other hand, I also make and use faceplates made by gluing nuts into wood blanks and screwing the workpiece onto them. The previous suggestion/s of using them is good. You can also use a pipe floor flange on that lathe (pic below). Buy the 1/2" pipe size. Its the same thread size as the 3/4 x 16" thread on the heastock. The difference is that the pipe thread is a tapered thread. But it will work fine. You can use the existing holes or drill more for mounting the workpiece.
Incidently, most automotive oil filters are the same 1/2" pipe thread size. And I've known of guys that tore their old ones apart and used them as faceplates. Sounds too messy for me...

The second upgrade for my monotube was a live tailstock center. But for bowls you might not need or want to spend for that. And they fit the Craftsman #1 morse taper. Most larger or newer lathes will use #2 morse taper. So spending for the live center may be wasted when/if you upgrade the lathe.

You may wonder why many of us mention upgrading our lathes?
Its because its a common occurance.
We enjoy turning and learning and the natural tendency is to "bigger and better". That does not mean we can't do fine on whatever machine we have, its just that guys and gals like "big boy (or girl) toys."
Some worldclass turners use only an electric motor and a block or T of wood for a steadyrest and put many of us to shame in the quality and quantity of work they produce.

T-Bird

Attachments

• 243980_front200.jpg
    243980_front200.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 193
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
I have joined the Redwood turners but get intimidated some what by the experienced turners. I am going to take an adult woodworking class and they have several lathes.
Thanks. Bruce

Bruce! Terrific! The class will be a big help to you! Try not to let the experienced turners intimidate you. In the meetings they will be talking about stuff at their level of experience which can really throw you. They are largely talking to other turners who have a decent idea what they are talking about so the jargon tends to fly. But, most of them will remember vividly what it was like to start off, and most of them can and will tone it down when they actually sit down with a beginner.

Steve's idea about asking the pres about mentoring is a good one. If they don't have a program you might just attend a meeting or two and and get to know the folks there. You will probably find one or two folks who you really hit it off with. They would be the ones to ask for a little hands on time.

I took a different tack when I was learning. Our club is terrific with some amazingly talented turners who also happen to be great teachers. Very patient, very friendly. My problem was I was traveling too much for work to be able to get together with them, or even make meetings. So......after talking to some turners at my local Woodcraft I picked a few basic tools for bowl work. An Ellsworth Gouge, a scraper, a parting tool, etc. I bought the DVD by Ellsworth on his gouge and then watched it to the point where my wife ran screaming from the house. By the time I laid the tool against the wood I had a fair idea what had to happen. I also had a little portable DVD player and put that on the shelf above the lathe. Before I made a cut I would review David's piece on that particular cut and then do it. If it didn't feel right I watched it again. This approach worked well for me. And how many folks can say they had David Ellsworth as their mentor?? <grin>.

There are a couple of really good DVD's out there you could use. Bill Grumbine's video seems to be really well thought of though I have not seen it yet, I got alot from the Dell Stubbs DVD as a beginner and liked his style of teaching. The Jimmy Clewes DVD's also get good comments for beginners. Any of them would probably help you get going. I really like the Richard Raffan DVD's, but as a beginner he was way beyond me. I didn't appreciate him until I had some time in front of the lathe. Time spent with another turner is the best though.

Yehaaaaaa! Have a ball with this Bruce and holler at us anytime!

Dave

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If your interested in bowls I would recommend the Bill Grumbine DVD. It is excellent and takes you from cutting and prepping the wood to turning, sanding, and finishing.
The others have given you good advice. If you need #1 morse taper accessories go to Penn State Industries and look up accessories for the Carbo-tec. I believe the smaller Record lathes also take #1 morse tapers.

I'll third the motion for the Grizzly chuck. H6264 has the 3/4 x 16 insert. Extra jaw sets (two sizes available) are only about $20 each.

Teknatool has recently shifted manufacture to China, and they're having some QC problems with the G3. Might be a good idea to wait until they get it sorted out, although DIY fixup is feasible.

I'd shy away from using a 1/2" pipe flange for a faceplate. According to Machinery's Handbook, they're 14 threads per inch, not 16. The taper may enable engagement with 3/4x16, but it'd only be for a few threads before they bind - not a good connection IMHO.

You can turn the outside of a bowl between centers. A live center in the tailstock is a whole lot better than greasing a dead center. You'll still need a chuck of some sort to do the inside; or, use a waste block attached to a face plate, so that the screws don't intrude into the bowl. BTDT. To finish the bottom, attach a plywood disk to a faceplate and turn a groove in the plywood to mate with the bowl rim. Wrap some filament tape around the bowl (missing the bottom) to the back of the disk - about 4 wraps should be sufficient. Start with small bowls to reduce UFOs.

Don't hesitate to pick the brains of the veteran turners in your club. They've all been where you are, and I've found woodturners to be some of the friendliest folks you'll ever meet.

Welcome aboard.

Joe

Back