• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sanding sap wood

Making some walnut natural edge bowls and find when sanding the heart wood darkens the sap wood. How do you sand to keep the sap wood as light as possible?

Thanks for your help.

Dave F.

Mostly that's dark dust scrubbed into white pores. Take a power brush to the sapwood that's darkened already and see what you can do. A bit of shellac in a 2# cut seems to shed well enough when I use it on pristine sapwood.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I put thinned lacquer on the white wood before every grit of sandpaper. this helps fill the pores and keep the sanding dust from the dark wood out of it. I then blow it off between grits and apply a little more. Sanding sealer or shellac also work.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Sealing works fairly well.

Sometimes my final solution is to bleach the sapwood. This is often necessary with HFs and natural edge bowls turned from wet walnut. I usually get some staining in the sapwood from the water in the heartwood.
2 part bleach from Klean strip applied carefully to just the sapwood pops the white back better than it was.

You can also get nice contrast effect on walnut by turning a bead and bleaching the bead to sort of a blond color.

Al

Back