• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding Mandrel Storage Ideas Please?

I am putting together a flight of 3" sanding mandrels with interface pads and discs. I want the set to include 10 to 12 mandrels with grits starting at 80 and up from there. I ordered a bunch of mandrels, pads and discs today.

I prefer to have a mandrel ready to roll with the grit I am after. So I am looking for a convenient way to store flight. If you have an example of such, I would appreciate a photo. Of course I have seen a board with holes drilled in it but was thinking that someone may have a better idea. My shop has enough equipment to make most anything.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I got this idea from Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders. I keep one of his "roloc" mandrels in the drill. Then I have a backup pad for each grit. (finer grit have the softer innerface pad). The backer board is 1/8" masonite/hardboard with holes drilled (can't remember if it's 5/16 or another ) that is just snug enough that the roloc backer pads can screw into the masonite. NOTE: after a time the masonite does wear and the hole gets too loose to hold the pad but then I just make a new board up.

. 1725975608559.jpeg

The little storage bins are from harbor freight. I mounted them onto a piece of ply and then used drawer slides to mount the ply to the wall. I slide it out when sanding and it positions it pretty good at the tailstock end. Each grit has it's own cubby 2 inch and 3 inch. There was a thread on here where I got the idea for the drawer slides. Can't remember the guys name now.

It works for me because of the wall being there. And the TV mount holds the ply that holds the turning tools.

Attachments

• IMG_20230405_205222799 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230405_205222799 (1).jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 37
Back