• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Roughing Gouge

I have a 3/4” roughing gouge. It’s fine for roughing up to 2or3” but sometimes feels a bit light for bigger lumps. The next size up seems to be 1 1/4”. Might that be better for the bigger lumps? Thanks.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
1 1/4 goes well with a 3/4.

If you are good at keeping the bevel on - a large continental style gouge is a great roughing tool on larger spindles
1 or 1 1/4 or 30 mm
If you are prone to catches you will find the continental impossible to use.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks. By “continental “ do you mean the grind on a bowl gouge or is there a continental roughing gouge
I mean the continental spindle gouge
It is a gouge forged from a flat bar. Difficult to use without a solid schooling in the fundamentals.
Shallow flute in the proper hand it roughs like a dream.

015BFB14-02C9-4014-9A69-FD328AAD360D.jpeg

Thanks for your help. I've got quite proficient with a 10mm spindle gouge: less sure about 30mm! Though I can see there's not too much difference between it and a big roughing gouge though I suspect it requires better control!

Difficult for me to tell flute shape in the gouge above. The Continental style have a ) shaped flute. The traditional SRG is closer to half round shape. The old bodgers, green spindle turners used to prefer the continental type gouge for their work. Hmm, spell check doesn't know what a bodger is........

robo hippy

I’ve seen the Sorby Roughing gouge at uk 84 which put me off a bit! But Hamlet who I think are linked to Henry Taylor have a more modest priced one. I’ll have a look on eBay but either they are included in a load of tut or only 1” wide (so far- I’m in no rush as it’s 47* in the garden/ shed/ workshop- unheard of for the UK!)

I use a continental spindle gouge for my spindle roughing. Don't even have a *roughing* gouge. I don't have problems with this gouge on any wood I've spun, I just take my time to get the knots or protruding wood worked down even to the rest of the wood. After I got used to using this gouge, I can turn it down pretty fast but depending on the wood, I will make sure the edge is sharp. I did change the wings a little but I'm not sure it was for the best. I'm slowly returning back to original shape each time I sharpen.

Back