• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rose Engine Lathe

I'm interested in learning more about and possibly making the MDF Rose Engine Lathe, I have a few questions to start with, forgive my ignorance if the questions are obvious or have been asked before.

1. Why MDF and not Baltic Birch? Would BB work as well. I've always viewed it as stronger is this correct?

2. Are plans available for making a cutting frame? If so where? Is making the cutting frame within reach for someone w/ the skills and tools to make the other machined parts for the lathe?

3. Any problems, pitfalls or advice from someone who has made one?

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ornamental Turning in Richmond

Back by popular demand

Jon Magill will be conducting 2 sessions on Building the Rose Engine Lathe at our AAW symposium in Richmond Virginia June 20-22.

There will also be two session on projects for the rose engine lathe by Jon and Bonnie Klein.

as Ed mentioned Friday night there will be a special interest group meeting of the Ornamantal turners.

MDF is the product of choice for all sorts of lathe chucks.
MDF is a bit more dense than most plywoods. It has no voids and won't delaminate.
MDF is 1/5 the cost of top quality plywood.

Happy turning,
Al

Back