• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rocky Mountain Symposium

I'm finally unpacked after spending 3 days at the Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium. The highlight was getting to meet Michael Anderson, Kevin Jesequel, and Linda Ferber. Michael did a couple of demos, Kevin won an Instant Gallery prize for one of his hollow forms, and I was able to take a Hands-On mushroom class with Linda. I saw Dave Landers, but he was always busy with something and didn't get a chance to visit. Alex Bradley was there with some incredible blocks of wood from her father's collection (and apparently, she's developed some pretty darn good chops as a turner/carver herself)

This is a very well run symposium with world class demonstrators and a very good vendor floor. It's very informal with plenty of time to meet and converse with several dozen famous turners who are uniformly nice people. Plus, you get to meet your forum friends for the first time! Highly recommended. See you in Fall 2025.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I saw Dave Landers, but he was always busy with something
I saw you, too, but was busy at the time, so here's a belated "Hi, Dean!"
Funny since I told the committee I couldn't really help much this year due to surgery earlier this summer... but still found ways to keep out of trouble.

See you in Fall 2025.
September 19-21, 2025 !

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Rocky Mountain was a great time. Trent Bosch and crew do an amazing job creating a high-value experience. It was great to meet you in the flesh Dean, as well as some others. I got to have Dave Landers as my video guy. Felt like royalty šŸ˜€

Probably one of the best run symposiums Iā€™ve attended! Incredible venue and just the overall flow of things was top notch. Besides the crew of members of Rocky Mountain Woodturners, Trent Bosch and at least 3 family members working behind the scenes. I was part of the video set up crew and also worked the camera for Michael Andersonā€™s ā€œEgg-in-an-Eggā€ demo on Saturday. Other demos I enjoyed: Kimberly Winkle, Jack Vesery, J.F. Escoulen and Dale Larson.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Wish I could have been there to see some fellow turners, but not in this season of life! Sounds like you had a lot of fun though!

BTW Michael, Linda, and Kevin, we need you to come to the OVWG Turning 2025 next year! I am going to suggest you guys as demonstrators to our lead recruitment guy! Maybe he can convince you to come up here!!

Wife and I just got back yesterday afternoon, spent a day in Denver and Rocky Mountain National Park before coming home. Was our first time attending and had a great time. Wife fell in love with the basket illusion demonstration so we obviously walked out with setup. She also enjoyed Michael's turning a heart session and wants to try that. I had the opportunity to do the hands on small hollow form and really enjoyed that. Being a "new" turner it is great to see demonstrations on unique items (other than a "plain" round bowl). Left with a lot of new things on my to try list.

We left with 2 suitcases and came home with 3 after visiting the vendors. Good thing we flew Southwest.

Look forward to attending this again.

Back