• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rikon 70-3040 review

TLDR - it’s a good, heavy duty lathe with a couple considerations. If you need a small footprint with large capacity it’s worth choosing.

The defining feature is the sliding bed. It’s how you get 30” swing and 40” spindle length in the footprint of a 20” lathe. Does it work well? Yes with one downside.

A motor slides the bed in and out. You can also disconnect the motor and move it by hand. Besides the benefit of being compact I’ve been using it instead of removing the tail stock for bowl hollowing. By sliding the bed several inches the tool rest still fits on the upper bed while the tail stock is out of the way (see picture). The downside is any shavings that fall between the upper bed ways and can get trapped in the space between the upper and lower ways. I like keeping things clean and so spend a couple of minutes after each session clearing the space with a shopvac. After turning some super wet wood I had some rust to clean out of this awkward location (also feel dumb for not covering the lathe better). Overall the sliding bed is a win, though, for me with space constraints. It’s a good choice if you have more room, there are just more options at that size.

All of the mechanical parts of the lathe are beefy. The banjo is massive and the tool rest is good and locks well. The tail stock quill has good range. The storage in my tail stock has stripped threads in the casting. Rikon support was great, someone picked up immediately, was friendly, and knowledgeable. They had new hardware in the mail in hours. I did need to align the headstock a little. The instructions were clear and the bolts easy to access, adjustment time was a few minutes.

Overall weight is around 600lbs and I’ve had 12” extremely wet oak rounds on and rarely had vibration issues. The 3HP motor does well on aggressive cuts using the low speed pulleys. In fact I’ve never taken it out of low speed doing bowls, the speed range is great. I see a low rpm around 20 and a high around 1,080 on the low pulleys.

The movable control box is plastic and feels much lighter than everything else but it doesn’t feel flimsy. The cord reaches anywhere you want to mount the lathe and is coiled so there is little slop. The magnets are plenty strong and the buttons are decent. The one issue is the speed control dial has no feedback when turning plus has low resistance. More than once I’ve bumped the speed up to maximum while turning on the lathe without realizing it! This is the #1 thing I’d like them to change. One of the product managers reached out to say they’ll review the idea. In 4 months it’s happened a handful of times, mostly when the box was in the right end of the lathe where it’s lower. I’ve asked one or two other owners if it’d happened to them and it had not.

Shipping and assembly
Everything came securely bolted to the pallet. Disassembly was all screws and bolts, no nails! Between a jet bandsaw, grizzly jointer, planer, and the lathe was the best packed.

To assemble, I cut the center of the pallet out with a sawzall. Then used a rolling car jack to lift a few inches to add blocking. A rolling lift table could then fit underneath (Harbor Freight 500# model). With the banjo and tail stock removed it lifted with no problem. One leg went on easy, but the table had to move to get out of the way of the other leg. The sketchiest part was stacking blocks to take the weight for a moment to move the lift table over.

The wheels came in later. They’re robust and move the lathe easily.

Thought I’d write this up since there are very few reviews online so far!

IMG_3247.jpeg

Thanks, Ross! I'm a big fan of Rikon, too. I ordered the new(ish) 70-1824SVR in 110v. It was supposed to ship in March but then was delayed until April. Knowing, this could go on for a while, I emailed Rikon customer support to ask what the real shipping date is. I got an email back from Joe Taylor, the president of Rikon. He said they had supply chain issues but it will indeed ship in early April. I'm really looking forward to it.

I couldn't quite pull the trigger on the 3040. It looks like it will be an awesome lathe for you.

Thanks, Ross! I'm a big fan of Rikon, too. I ordered the new(ish) 70-1824SVR in 110v. It was supposed to ship in March but then was delayed until April. Knowing, this could go on for a while, I emailed Rikon customer support to ask what the real shipping date is. I got an email back from Joe Taylor, the president of Rikon. He said they had supply chain issues but it will indeed ship in early April. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm planning to order the 70-1420VSR tomorrow with one or possibly two bed extensions. (One for longer spindles and hopefully to keep the tailstock out of the way without removing it, and possibly a second one for outboard hollowing.) I currently have a 70-220VSR, so it will be an upgrade both in capability, and in getting a heavier-duty machine that improves upon the weaker parts of my current lathe. I've been waiting for one of those periodic 15% off sales, and Woodcraft's starts tomorrow. Looks like it won't ship until May though.

I'm planning to order the 70-1420VSR tomorrow with one or possibly two bed extensions. (One for longer spindles and hopefully to keep the tailstock out of the way without removing it, and possibly a second one for outboard hollowing.) I currently have a 70-220VSR, so it will be an upgrade both in capability, and in getting a heavier-duty machine that improves upon the weaker parts of my current lathe. I've been waiting for one of those periodic 15% off sales, and Woodcraft's starts tomorrow. Looks like it won't ship until May though.

I ordered the bed extension bundle for mine. It comes with a tool rest extender for outboard turning (the head swivels on the 1824).

I read that the tailstock is not self ejecting. Can you tell me if that is true? I have been considering the 3040 but no self ejecting is a deal breaker for me

I couldn't quite pull the trigger on the 3040. It looks like it will be an awesome lathe for you.
I was in your shoes, in November I ordered an 1824 220v! But seeing the back order date so far out made me reconsider. I convinced myself to jump to the 3040 using several mental gymnastic steps, including “it’ll hold its value” and “less likely to outgrow it”.

Hopes you like yours! Curious to see how you like it.

I read that the tailstock is not self ejecting. Can you tell me if that is true? I have been considering the 3040 but no self ejecting is a deal breaker for me
I’ve only used the live center it came with and it self ejects for me. But your question makes me wonder, I think the live center is hitting the cast iron itself pushing it out. I’ll see if a smaller center self ejects too.

Whole family has been sick but I found a few minutes to test. The included live center will hit the casting and pop out. Trying it with a Jacob’s chuck that didn’t hit the casting it releases but doesn’t pop out. Meaning it goes from firmly seated and very difficult to remove while the tail stock is extended to easily removed with the tail stock fully retracted.

Whole family has been sick but I found a few minutes to test. The included live center will hit the casting and pop out. Trying it with a Jacob’s chuck that didn’t hit the casting it releases but doesn’t pop out. Meaning it goes from firmly seated and very difficult to remove while the tail stock is extended to easily removed with the tail stock fully retracted.
I had one tail stock center on one of my lathes that did not loosen on retract. It did have a small tapped hole in the rear of the tapered portion, though. I found a small bolt of the correct thread to screw in to it and the head provided just enough extra surface for it to work nicely afterward.

OK Thanks for the update Doesnt sound like self ejecting but you dont need to use a knock out bar on it

Back