• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Replacement Porch Column Turned Base

Haven't visited the house yet, but asked to turn a replacement porch column base (decaying). Based on the address I won't be surprised if it is a formal front entry with columns is about 10" diameter. My first thought is to use quarter sawn white oak, given outdoor location and supporting potentially heavy column and porch roof. Suggestions? And no, I will not have anything to do with the installation.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
If it had to be that structural, I'd not even take the job. (liability and all that). However, if it were decorative (surrounding a solid center post) then I'd probably measure out largest and smallest diameters to come to a thickness calculation and do a staved glue-up of whatever wood is desired (if painted, I'd do it in pine or poplar)

Haven't visited the house yet, but asked to turn a replacement porch column base (decaying). Based on the address I won't be surprised if it is a formal front entry with columns is about 10" diameter. My first thought is to use quarter sawn white oak, given outdoor location and supporting potentially heavy column and porch roof. Suggestions? And no, I will not have anything to do with the installation.
Sapele would be a good choice for that. You should be able to find a large enough piece to turn it without any glue up.

Sapele would be a good choice for that. You should be able to find a large enough piece to turn it without any glue up.
Do you have a source for 10" thick dry Sapele?

Staved Sapele or Sipo would be a reasonable choice if available. White oak too, though it is not ideal for paint. I would avoid poplar or pine sapwood for an exposed situation. Accoya, though expensive, is an excellent choice for rot resistant painted millwork, and torrefied woods as well.

I've done porch column bases and column tops.

Being in the Pacific NW fir was the wood used in the originals, painted of course if they're outdoors. Fir weathers well. And compression strength is not a concern.

Glued up to get wide enough pieces, originals were solid since so much wide material was available. The originals appeared to be only nailed together, two pieces, a square or round bottom and a round piece on top of the square.

Doing stuff like this time and material was charged. Time now days would be around $100+/ hr. Like turnings for furniture restoration money flows freely, high prices are expected. If there's enough restoration going on in your area this type turning can make good money.

Interior restorations in fir sometimes needs vertical grain and that material gets pretty expensive. Not much is being logged anymore so re-sawn large structural beams are a good source. When Bill Gate was building his house his contractors bought up all the salvaged fir beams on the market so he'd have enough for his house.

Last edited:
I did this for someone. He glued up a block of Plywood 11 x 11. It was a bugger to turn. Very splintery! Lots of sandpaper to get it smooth, but it has been installed and he is very happy with it.

Black locust will last forever.
Edited to add: if you want to ease the turning and avoid end grain, make it a segmented turning glued up with epoxy.

Hey Don. Before considering how to make it, I would probably visit the property and try to determine how the other olumns were made and consider doing the same. Some such columns and bases are made with segmented techniques. Perhaps those who will do the installation can first remove the problem base; examination of the cross section/inside may help you decide how to proceed and how to provide for joining the base to the column.

Do you have a source for 10" thick dry Sapele?

Staved Sapele or Sipo would be a reasonable choice if available. White oak too, though it is not ideal for paint. I would avoid poplar or pine sapwood for an exposed situation. Accoya, though expensive, is an excellent choice for rot resistant painted millwork, and torrefied woods as well.
For something 10" thick, I would laminate the Sapele, using epoxy or TB III. The hardwood lumber company that I buy from has 12/4 Sapele so getting to 10" wouldn't be too difficult

I just delivered a couple 12" x 3" bases a few weeks ago. I had some black locust logs behind my shop, so cut some pieces a bit oversize and let them dry out for a bit. I turned them and while there are a few splits and defects in them, they're not going to be natural/stained. What's the saying? Caulk & paint can make them what they ain't.

Attachments

• PXL_20240814_184704808 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240814_184704808 (1).jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 24
I get an occasional call. Usually goes something like this.

"We have a full painting crew with scaffolds set up and found a rotted column that we can't paint. Can you make a replacement and have it ready to go in say 15 minutes?"

Of course the painting crew is costing maybe $$$$$'s per hour and they definitely don't want to make a return trip. To keep em happy I reply sure I can make a replacement but it might take me 20 minutes!

IMG_4859.JPG

Customer photo of the problem. I requested more pics and a drawing with the exact dimensions. The drawing with dimensions puts most of the responsibility of a proper fit on the contractor so they bulk but I insist.

I always have white oak on hand which works well for these things and the time clock was ticking away. Of course black locust would be better. Glued up my block with TB 3 and I'm on my way.

IMG_4892.JPG

Finished piece, it's upside down and the contractor had to do some work to get it installed correctly but we had a plan and it worked.

IMG_4902.JPG

Before the contractor reached out to me he called a commercial outfit that does these columns and was quoted a 7 month time frame. The job went well and the owner along with the painting contractor were pleased.

Wow.
Hopefully the painting contractor uses some "high-performance" barrier and sealer before top-coating.
Well done

I get an occasional call. Usually goes something like this.

"We have a full painting crew with scaffolds set up and found a rotted column that we can't paint. Can you make a replacement and have it ready to go in say 15 minutes?"

Of course the painting crew is costing maybe $$$$$'s per hour and they definitely don't want to make a return trip. To keep em happy I reply sure I can make a replacement but it might take me 20 minutes!

How much did you charge them? I'll bet the 7 months quote was $1,000 or more.

Had a look last night. Four fluted columns two stories high and small roof on top of them. No idea if the columns load bearing. The turned bases about 4" thick.

One base has significant decay, a second showing some decay. Might be heart redwood. Hollow center, Turned bases several layers nailed together. Bottom of one column showing slight decay.

Said I could turn replacement base but first need to get expert opinion from experienced carpenter whether the columns are load bearing,
Said I would not touch the turned base in place no be involved in temporary support of the roof.

Lots of good advice and thinking in the above responses, for which I am very grateful.

Back