• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Removing wax from burl spines

I just purchased a hunk of brown mallee burl. Cost about as much as my first car. What I want to know is, how do you (any of you) remove the wax from the spines?

It's going to be below zero here tonight. I think the the pressure washing will wait 'til spring: give myself more time to put off cutting into--that is, study--the burl. So much for being "brave." But as my wife said, "Relax, even diamond cutters sometimes shatter the diamond."

M

mkart

disolving wax

I also have a few mallee burls covered in wax. So far I have scraped the wax out by hand after finish turning. I am certain there is a chemical that will disolve it though. I just don't know it yet.

If your burl is small enough boil some water and dump it on the pointy side of the burl in your sink. Wax will come of very easily. I have also done this with very large burls. It is time consuming to boil enough water but it still works well. I usually do this outside because the was is easier to clean off the ground than my shop floor.

Try not to get the water on the grain side of the burl or it will absorb it. If I have wax on the grain side I will scrape it off or lightly shave it off using the band saw.

Any bit of wax that does not come off with boiling water (rare but it does happen) I will remove by rubbing with a rag soaked in acetone. Be careful if you are using wood with a lot of color because the acetone will leach out the colors and make a mess.

It's going to be below zero here tonight. I think the the pressure washing will wait 'til spring: give myself more time

Take it down to your local "30 sec. for a buck" car wash, and blast it off with the hot water and soap. Simple, easy, no mess at home, and your done and ready to turn in 5 min.

Removing Wax

Mike,
Let me know what you decide, I just bought a couple of Red Mallee burls! Can't wait to see them.
Kurt:D

Take it down to your local "30 sec. for a buck" car wash, and blast it off with the hot water and soap. Simple, easy, no mess at home, and your done and ready to turn in 5 min.

A guy in one stall, hand washing his Corvette; a guy in the next stall hand washing his truck; a guy in the third stall washing his burl :D That's worth taking a picture of and posting :D

Back