• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

redwood bowl

I recently finish turned (dryed for about 1 year) a small redwood bowl. Finished same with Watco danish oil but one small area is releasing what I assume is sap which runs down the side. How would you deal with this problem? :confused:

Normal method is to seal resinous woods with shellac, but that's probably moot at the moment. You can do successive solvent wipes with a suitable solvent, like mineral spirits, and then reapply your oil finish after the surface no longer shows fresh output, or you can turn and sand away the entire finish and go to a sealer/finish.

I've turned lots of redwood burl ,due to living in the redwoods on the ca. coast and have run into this before. My solution is to remove as much resin/sap from the pocket with a dental pick and some dna. then I usualy fill the area with sanding dust and ca glue. this seems to lock in the rest of the resin/sap. Hard to do once piece is finished. When it happens after finishing the piece I've used the dental pick alone and put in a small amount of ca glue. seems to seal it in . Hope this helps have fun and keep turning.

Back