• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Raising Club Funds?

The Channel Islands Woodturners is a well established chapter of the AAW of over 10 years and about 70 members. As we grow we find the need for purchasing equipment to improve our member’s experiences. We have an excellent sound system, our first major purchase, purchased an LCD television for demonstrations. Our current fundraising is through membership dues and a charge for demonstrations. I was wondering what other clubs do for fundraising. Any input at all would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Here are some ideas...

Club raffle. Bring wood, tools, books etc. and raffle them off at $1 a ticket (or more if the items are more expensive.) I considered buying the Nova Midi chuck on sale at Woodcraft and raffling it off for $5 a ticket. I would have bought a ticket!

BarbQue. One club I know of raised $3000 selling beef briskets...

Host a turning clinic with a couple of demonstrators and do hands on training. Charge $15-$20 per head.

Host a club sale in which members donate one or two pieces with proceeds to benefit the club.

If you or one of the club members make things that turners like to buy, ask them if they would donate a portion of the sales to the club.

We've managed to raise enough money to buy a Jet 1642. And several people have donated things to the club, like a monitor, PA system, light booth and lamps, dollies for the lathe, raffle drum etc....

Well.. now that I've given away all my ideas, :cool: what kind of things do other clubs do?

Last edited:
Our club has three main sources of income other than membership dues.

At each meeting, we have folks bring pieces of wood and pile them all up. At some point, everyone who wants a piece puts one or more dollars with their names written on them in a big bowl. Drawings are held with folks going up and getting a piece as their name is called. Makes $40-50 per meeting.

Second, our club actually runs a booth at two county fairs. This is a club booth and we have demonstrators turning for the public at all times, in addition to having pieces on display and on sale from club members. Since we are there as a club and as demonstrators, we get the booth space for free and pay nothing to the fair on our sales. In exchange, we put on a good show and turn lots (and lots, and lots, and lots) of tops for kids. 10% of sales goes to the club. This has been a major funding source in some years (over $1500 in one year).

Third, our club hosts an open turning day ever 3-4 months. We have a large space at a local college that costs us $125 to rent for the day. We have 8-10 minis running and we invite not only our club but all the ones within reasonable driving distance. There is no fee to come and turn. During the day, we have a silent auction (you write a bid on a piece of paper then others can come and outbid you) on donated new and used tools, wood, dry blanks, roughouts, etc. all donated by club members. When we started doing this, we figured we'd try to pay for the space with this. We've ended up making $500-800 per day, all on donated wood. We have one coming up next month and will have two cut up cherry trees for sale.

Between all of these sources, we've managed to keep our coffers full and still be able to have big-name turners come for the weekend, upgrade some club equipment, and pay $125 per meeting for our meeting space.

Not bad.

Dietrich

Back