• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Protecting red cedar from UV fading

A week ago I posted this Atlantic red cedar hollow form in the gallery. 1724540570684.jpeg

@RichColvin asked “How do you keep the colors vibrant over time?”

I answered that I thought a finish like marine spar varnish with high UV filters in it would work, although I had in fact finished it with Doctors’ Woodshop finish and a Beall Buff with carnauba wax. I then said to myself, why not put your money where your mouth is, so I stripped the wax finish off with mineral spirits and applied four coats of Epifanes clear gloss spar varnish with “extra UV-filter.” First coat thinned about 30% with mineral spirits, second coat about 10%, and last two coats full strength. I’ve also got a bowl I made at the same time that I left with the original finish. I’ll watch over time and see if there is a significant difference in color change.
1724540974733.jpeg

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did a rest a bunch of years ago on all the products I could find that have uv protectors. I put the woid in direct sunlight. I had samples in indirect light as well. All of the wood changed color dramatically in justv3 days. The only product that worked at all was Spar varnish and it is a dark orange color and we would never use that. Tha sample left in indirect light didn't change color after a year.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
No it's been too long. Pretty sure on tge soar varnish it was one thick coat. It only gave 2 more days of direct summer sun to fade. Most of the other finishes I tried I followed my Normal procedures which was 3 ir 4 coats for oil based and 2 or so of lacquer.

Pretty sure on tge soar varnish it was one thick coat
Thanks John. I’ve put four coats on this hollow form. The manufacturer (Epifanes) actually recommends up to 7 coats including a first couple of base coats applied thinned to allow absorption into the wood. They say that the goal is mils (thicker the coat, the more UV protection). I realize it’s a trade off between fading and color shift through a thick coating. I usually disdain high gloss finishes, but in the case of this cedar I’m eager to experiment and see if I can keep some of the desirable red. Time will tell.

Back